Loom With A View

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

It's Over

Yami died today,

Verb I am thinking of you today and you too Jilly. We basically decided to let nature take it's course as long as he didn't appear to be in pain or major discomfort. I am a great believer in being in comfortable surroundings at the end of life.







He really hated the injections of fluids and the last time we gave him his dose he deteriorated almost immediately. It was the end of that bag and I thought about getting another and decided not to and see how things went. He continued to drink but had stopped eating by then.

He moved upstairs to the closet and then around our room to various spots. He really kept us on our toes. For a while he slept at the foot of the bed. After one accident I put a puppy pad and towel at the end of the bed for him. He stayed there for a few days then disappeared. Found him again in a new hiding place. It has been a real roller coaster.

Today when I got up to go to work he was at the top of the stairs. He had not been there for over a week. I was not certain what he wanted to do, but later it seemed like he wanted to come down the stairs. I feared he would fall so I picked him up and brought him down to the water and food dish. He was not interested and wandered away. I grabbed a towel, wrapped him up and set him on the floor vent where he used to like to sleep. I turned up the heat and he lay down and closed his eyes.

I went up to get dressed and woke up Puck. He came downstairs to say goodbye. We both thought it was the end. Yami opened an eye though and went back to sleep. I called Puck at noon and he told me that Yami had gotten up and moved to our library. I couldn't believe it.

When I got home though Puck told me Yami had died around 1:00 and that he had buried him in the back yard about 3 feet from where he had been born. We walked out and said goodbye.

I will miss that goofy looking lover of a cat. I sure wish he could have lived with us many more years. Bella is acting weird and meowing in a strange way. She obviously is aware that something is wrong. They never did get along too well, but I think he was her pesky little brother.

I still have to tell Maddie. I will never forget the hours she spend luring that scared little feral kitten to her lap, patiently holding scraps of chicken out to him while he dashed, gobbled and ran away until she finally won him over. This will be hard for her being far from home.

Thanks for being a part of our lives little Yami

13 Comments:

  • At 2:43 PM, Blogger vq said…

    Lori, I've got tears streaming down my face. I'm so sorry, and am sending all the sympathy vibes I can muster.

    It's so hard to let a good cat go, and what has ever looked emptier than the spot in the sun where a beloved cat loved to sleep, but sleeps no longer?

    I'll tell you this--if there are no cats in heaven, I don't want to go.

    Bubsy woke up perky today, and marched right to the kitchen to eat and drink, then marched right out to the litter box and conducted several kinds of business there. (Yesterday, he was barely able to move.) So I can't take him in today. He's going to have to show me that it's time.

    As I said, what a roller coaster.

     
  • At 2:50 PM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    Verb thanks so much.. I know you are going through the same thing and I know how hard it is. It is so good to hear that Bubsy is perky today. I feared the worst for you and I am glad they both did not go today. Give him a cuddle for me.

     
  • At 2:55 PM, Blogger vq said…

    My instinct is the same as yours and Puck's, Lori--to let him drift out at home where he's happy and feels safe. He hates the car and he hates the vet. (And don't they all?)

    My vet said not to count on him drifting out in his sleep, that cats are tough old things and usually hang on and on until you finally have to bring them into the office.

    So Yami did well--he slipped away peacefully and didn't fight too hard and make himself miserable. What a good boy.

    I hope Bubsy can do that, too.

     
  • At 4:18 PM, Blogger emma said…

    Orbie,
    condolences on Yami. What a great cat family you all are

     
  • At 4:32 PM, Blogger Brenda said…

    i am sorry for your loss and very very sad. but happy that a kitty found a loving family and made it his own.

     
  • At 5:31 PM, Blogger Bert Bananas said…

    Bummer. I can't say more without becoming a bit unmanly.

     
  • At 5:36 PM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    Thanks so much everyone... it does help and I have had my good cry writing about today. It helps to know you are all out there. bless you my dear friends

     
  • At 9:05 PM, Blogger UrbanStarGazer said…

    I'm so sorry. I can't even imagine how hard it must be.

     
  • At 9:54 PM, Blogger Sonya said…

    I'm sorry, Lori. I know what you're feeling and it's very hard. Thinking about you.

     
  • At 11:53 PM, Blogger Jilly said…

    oh i feel so sad for you today. yami's last day was a lot like my lily's last day. i am happy that yami got to go at home with puck there and that you didn't have to deal with the hard part. i felt bad because i couldn't bring myself to bury lily and made my guy do it while i held mandolin and cried.

    i agree with verb, if all my lost loved pets aren't in heaven, then i don't want to go either. heaven can't be heaven without them there.

    people keep calling me and offering me a kitten. i don't want just any kitten, picking a pet is a personal thing and i'm not quite ready yet. lily was a special gal and chose us as her family.

    the other cat (who really isn't ours) has been acting weird this past week, but he did lose his sleeping partner and i guess he misses having someone to curl up and make the yin/yang symbol with.

    good luck to you verb, with your dear kitty. if you can't breat to take him, and he's not in pain, then don't force it.

    my wv is mylast name, that's the damndest thing

    jilly

     
  • At 6:32 AM, Blogger Rosary said…

    I'm so sorry, Lori.

     
  • At 2:42 PM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    Thanks for everything to you all

    big hugs all round

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Blogger Catz said…

    I'm so sorry for your loss Orbie.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home