Loom With A View

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Deep Thoughts

I have had a rather normal week. Walked to school did my job, some days went better than others, but all in all it was ok. We had a big pot luck and I brought Fritos because that is easy to carry. There was way too much food of course, but it was a lovely lunch.

One Wednesday I got an e-mail from one of my friends at the middle school who was getting together a bunch of girls for pizza and pictionary. Frankly it was the pictionary that pushed me over the edge of not going. I love games and never get to play. I am by nature rather a hermit and it is difficult to pry me out of my shell.

We had a great time,we were terrible at pictionary, but then we played catch phrase and now I want one for Christmas. That was really fun and we had loads of laughs... that is something I can always use.

We recently refinanced the house. That was scary, but we have finally paid off a butt load of credit card debt and that makes me feel a little more flush. We will never have the house paid off, but we now have a fixed interest rate for 10 years. We shall see what life holds then. Maybe the market will be back up.

Yesterday I had to get cat food so I drove to Janesville. I looked at the kitties at Mounds again like I always do and there was a beautiful buff colored male named Tarzan that has caught my eye a couple times now. If I didn't already have two cats and one of them ill I probably would be taking Tarzan home. He is fat and they said he was quite a lap cat. That got me to thinking about my friend Jean whose husband just passed away. The last time I talked with her she had mentioned really wanting a cat. We both thought it was pretty soon to be getting an animal, but I know how comforting it is to just have your hand on a purring cat or a softly breathing dog who is warming your lap or toes.

Anyhow I went to Goodwill of course and found some things for Maddie and a food processor which was great since Puck broke ours (well he was using it at the time it broke anyhow) Then I went to target with the intent of buying one of those memory mattresses, but they were a little too expensive. I will have to save that purchase for another time. I got to thinking more about Jean so I bought a couple pints of Hagen Das coffee ice cream and headed over to her house. I didn't think she was home, but there she was. I told her to grab two spoons and she laughed. She told me she has not been eating and is not feeling well. Well we later laughed about the both of us scarfing down all that icecream. One of the first things she talked about was getting some cat books from the library so I brought up Tarzan. I think she is ready for a friend at home and something to take care of and talk to. We shall see what comes of this, but ice cream was a good idea yesterday.

What started this blog entry was Spidey's blog entry about knowing all of you for so long and that it was comforting knowing that people would worry if you didn't show up. I had been listening to a show on public radio in the car while I was driving around about a kid who went off to the peace corp and died in a freak accident. His mother told how angry with God she was and how horrible the whole thing was and then two years later around the time he was to have come home they got a letter from him. He apparently had signed up on some online site to have a future letter sent to him in two years. They dutifully sent the letter, which his roommate and friend sent on to his parents. It was a weird and wonderful letter and gave them great comfort.

Another part of the show talked about the popularity of another kind of online site where you give them all your personal information to be doled out at the time of your death. They send you e-mails on a regular basis and if you do not respond the send out all this stuff to the people you listed...weird huh? The whole show was very interesting... they also talked about saving your intellect on a hard drive of some kind (not possible at this time) it was very thought provoking

2 Comments:

  • At 9:59 AM, Blogger Bert Bananas said…

    Very deep, indeed !!

    The other side of the internet keeping memories safe and communicating with people after you've died is that you can set 'bombs' to go off after you die.

    Imagination is a double edged sword.

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger Jilly said…

    orb,

    i can't imagine not having a cat or dog. i hope your friend finds an animal friend to help her along. a little love can go a long way on both ends.

    i used to love playing catchphrase. this weekend i promised mandolin we'd go buy candyland. i hope she likes board games, because we play them a lot and they're good tool to teach social skills and rule following.

    i can see you and maddie inventing a board game, you're both creative like that.

    jilly

     

Post a Comment

<< Home