Loom With A View

Monday, October 26, 2009

Life

my year is going fine. I would say great, but it just is not great...I just wish people would stop asking me "How is it going?" It is just fine... This is not my dream job, most of the time I am a glorified baby sitter. Many of the classes I support really don't need my support very often. Sometime it allows the teacher to leave the room or one of the kids to go use a computer lab because I, as an adult can go with them, but really I feel pretty useless most of the time.

I don't mind helping people who want to be helped, but I would rather not force learning on people who do not want to learn. I did have a pretty good day today. Justin (an almost non verbal young man) and I did a cooking demo for his final. I talked him into a fairly simple recipe (Banana sour cream pancakes) we had to research a chef and then do one of their recipes in front of the class.

He and I researched the chef, Ina Garten, and today gave the presentation. I made the recipe over the weekend to discover any bugs so was pretty prepared. We measured out all the ingredients and while I read the recipe Justin dumped things in and mixed. He did all the actual measuring before hand though and even zested the lemon and cut the bananas.

When it came time to read the biography I whispered to him "OK you read the first paragraph and I will read the next" :) I wasn't really certain what he would do, but he said "Ok" and just started reading. He was pretty quiet, but got most of the words right. He sort of missed on the city and state, but was so quiet that no-one noticed. I read the next one and he read the next one. Then I read a few and left him to read the list of her books. It worked out pretty well and the kids were amazed that he spoke. So was the teacher. I guess I get some props for that. Also the kids loved the pancakes... of course the other group made marinated goose steaks, which did not go over too well with the crowd.

Maddie stopped by for about 10 minutes on Sunday afternoon to pick up some costume books and stuff on her way back from Geek Kon 2009 in Madison. I made waffle cookies (I got the recipe from someone in the bookshelf) I am going to try to drive up to RF this Friday to see Urinetown. Puck is busy so I will have to go alone if I can't find someone to go with me, but I am hoping to get a chance to visit with Maddie for a little bit longer and find out how school is really going LOL

ETSY sales have been picking up so I really need to start weaving ... I am just so tired when I get home.

Yami is failing again and seems to be very needy. He absolutely hates the injections of fluids though and it is hard to torture him with that just to save his life. Maddie said he looked sad, and I guess that about sums it up. I haven't seen him eat anything for a day, but I have not been home all day either so am not certain. Although he has now taken to peeing on the carpet in our bedroom he also has been caught twice peeing in the toilet. I really cannot invite anyone over until we get through this crisis and can clean my carpets thoroughly.

well that is about it. Yippee it is a three day week and Monday is over

10 Comments:

  • At 5:53 PM, Blogger Brenda said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 5:56 PM, Blogger Brenda said…

    i put this on doreens blog when she was feeling blue. i think it would be good here too.

    it is by Adam Lindsay Gordon


    "Life is mostly froth and bubble,
    Two things stand like stone,
    Kindness in another's trouble,
    Courage in your own."


    you have shown kindness in another's trouble. that is no small thing.
    you are making a difference.

     
  • At 6:51 PM, Blogger Bert Bananas said…

    You're a good woman, Charley Brown. I already knew it and now so does Justin.

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    thanks Kids :)

     
  • At 11:00 PM, Blogger UrbanStarGazer said…

    That's my favorite pancake recipe but I leave out the vanilla and lemon zest most of the time cuz lots of folks have complained.

    Props on getting him to interact!

    Sorry to hear about Yami. I can't imagine how hard it must be. Can you crate him when you're not home and put a wee pad on the bottom of the crate?

     
  • At 12:17 PM, Blogger vq said…

    Our (very) old cat has renal failure, too. He has falling spells. He keeps making me think "tomorrow I'll have to take him for that last trip to the vet," but then he has a rally and surprises me. It's kind of an emotional roller coaster.

     
  • At 12:21 PM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    Yami really looked horrible and we got a goodly amount of fluids into him before he freaked. The next day he looked pretty good... now his favorite place to sit is right on the toilet seat... we only have one bathroom and now we are having to deal with one more bathroom hog :)

    He has been peeing in the toilet though so it is not all bad

     
  • At 5:53 PM, Blogger Brenda said…

    so when will we have an update?

     
  • At 8:06 PM, Blogger vq said…

    I think I will have to take my sick kitty in tomorrow to be put to sleep. I'm keeping him around because I hate to say goodbye, and that's not a very good reason. Poor guy can hardly get a breath in, he's so full of fluid.

    This is the bad part about having pets--having to part with them.

     
  • At 4:33 AM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    Verb... That is exactly where we are this morning except that Yami stopped eating a few days ago, but still was drinking. He was mostly sleeping in the closet, but this morning I found him at the top of the stairs. I brought him down because I was afraid he would fall, but now I don't know what to do. He doesn't seem uncomfortable, just weak and tired. Good luck to you Jess

     

Post a Comment

<< Home