Loom With A View

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A little break from work

Had a lovely visit from Saturday to Sunday with our friend Michael (the milliner) He brought Maddie a mess of costume designs for her to peruse and borrow for her costume design class. There are a ton of shows covering over 10 years and wealth of information. He also gave her some advice on her Steam-punk stuff and how she could adapt some costumes.

He gave me some scraps of raw silk and velvet. They are big enough to create something, but will need to be dyed first. Currently they are off white.

On Saturday we played cards until 3:00 AM... we took a little break to play Apples to Apples. Michael and Puck had never played before. Michael works for Target during the off season (for real money and health insurance) and he has sold the dang game, or rather stocked the dang game, and never played it. We had so much fun arguing over answers. Maddie is an excellent player and usually figured us out, but I ended up winning one and Michael ended up winning the other.

I had made a cold raspberry pie which we also enjoyed. It was so nice and it seemed like he had a good time too, which he needs!. Sunday he and Maddie and her Boyfriend and I played one last game of Hand and Foot and sent him on his way home along with some stuff that we were looking to find new homes for so it was a good swap.

Yesterday Maddie and I went to Goodwill so she could buy the ridiculous copper samovar which was too expensive, but that she really wanted for some Steam punk thing. We had bid on two others online and they went for way more than Goodwill wanted so I relented. She found some other stuff and I found two movies and a very nice and tall movie stand to put some of our VHS movies in. I got "Waking Ned Devine" (very funny movie) and "Night of the Living Dead"

I ended up using my birthday coupon so we saved $23.00 on the whole pile of stuff. After that we went to Walmart and I bought a new Mr Coffee. That was what Puck was going to use some of his birthday money on from his dad. I also bought a new non stick frying pan with some of my birthday money.

Got home and worked on felt balls. Worked on another puzzle for Maddie. I really am addicted to the dang things, but have found that I like the 500 piece ones best. And the less sky the better. Maddie and I went up in the attic to find some more costumes for her next cosplay convention. She needs to move up the the next level of expertise and many of the same judges as the last Con she was at will be at this one. We found the black skirt she wore in My Fair Lady and that looked great. She also can get by using the giant hat I made for her and that would be fabulous if she could get some more use out of it. I had a little Edwardian shirtwaist (genuine vintage piece) that I was going to sell because Maddie said it was too small for her.

She went to show Michael and when she started to put it on we both recognized the problem. Silly modern child was buttoning the blouse up the front :) Of course it didn't fit her bosom that way. We turned it around and it fit beautifully. Now she is working with that for a costume.

Well I better get back to my felt balls or they will not be done in time for my show on the 8th.

that is about all that is going on except this morning at about 7 AM the doorbell rang and this guy in a yellow t-shirt informed me that they were shutting the water off for a few hours. I ran around looking for all the water containers I could find and filled them up. I quickly unpacked the new coffeepot, peripherally read the instruction, and set it up.

Heck the rest of the family got up at 11:00 and the water was back on. Now I have to figure out how not to waste all that water!

2 Comments:

  • At 5:08 PM, Blogger Jilly said…

    dear orbie,

    several year ago, i got several of your wooly balls and put them in a decorative bowl. When the baby became mobile, i put the bowl up high. the other day she found the bowl and the balls and has now taken to using them as golf balls and enjoys putting them around the livingroom.

    jilly

     
  • At 5:11 PM, Blogger UrbanStarGazer said…

    Water the garden!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home