Big Decisions to Make
I think I have made a decision to end my Drama career with this play. It looks certain right now that that choice will not be mine to make, but with my friend Rob moving on to the High School and me as well we will not be able to continue the Middle School program.
I do not care to work with the musical. I do not work well with that director and I think I am ready to hang it all up.
Being involved in the ETSY site and Artfire and now a new site called Design Style I foresee a great deal of time spent working on the computer and photographing merchandise.
Right now I would love to be able to just focus on weaving and getting my work out there, but I am already freaking out about the play. Something has got to give and art is giving me more satisfaction than theater. I would like to be able to enjoy Maddie's productions as well, but the middle school play conflicts with their schedule as well.
She will be out of my reach soon enough and I hate to miss anything that is still within my grasp.
I have not been able to do any weaving at all for three months and that has been difficult. My attic is stuffed to the gills with crap I have collected for drama and it will be a job to disperse it. I might try selling some of the odder things on my vintage etsy site. Even some the clothes could go there I think since vintage is only 20 years old and much of the things I have are way older than that. It all just is feeling like a burden rather than a blessing.
I would love to be able to relax and read a book every now and then rather than steal moments to get them in.
Even if I manage to hold onto a job over the next school year there is no guarantee that I will have one at the end of the year, as a matter of fact they already have promised more cuts and now I am at the bottom of the heap. Focussing on my other business seems smarter right now.
So that is what is going through my brain right now... that and the stupid ass book my book club picked. Sheesh I need to find a better group of readers who actually would like to discuss a book rather than discuss whether or not they read it.
Oh I am having a bitchy day off to sew some crap together
I do not care to work with the musical. I do not work well with that director and I think I am ready to hang it all up.
Being involved in the ETSY site and Artfire and now a new site called Design Style I foresee a great deal of time spent working on the computer and photographing merchandise.
Right now I would love to be able to just focus on weaving and getting my work out there, but I am already freaking out about the play. Something has got to give and art is giving me more satisfaction than theater. I would like to be able to enjoy Maddie's productions as well, but the middle school play conflicts with their schedule as well.
She will be out of my reach soon enough and I hate to miss anything that is still within my grasp.
I have not been able to do any weaving at all for three months and that has been difficult. My attic is stuffed to the gills with crap I have collected for drama and it will be a job to disperse it. I might try selling some of the odder things on my vintage etsy site. Even some the clothes could go there I think since vintage is only 20 years old and much of the things I have are way older than that. It all just is feeling like a burden rather than a blessing.
I would love to be able to relax and read a book every now and then rather than steal moments to get them in.
Even if I manage to hold onto a job over the next school year there is no guarantee that I will have one at the end of the year, as a matter of fact they already have promised more cuts and now I am at the bottom of the heap. Focussing on my other business seems smarter right now.
So that is what is going through my brain right now... that and the stupid ass book my book club picked. Sheesh I need to find a better group of readers who actually would like to discuss a book rather than discuss whether or not they read it.
Oh I am having a bitchy day off to sew some crap together


11 Comments:
At 3:08 PM,
Sonya said…
You know, a lot of people are reassessing their positions and now seems like as good a time as any. My opinion is that you should be paying more attention to the things you enjoy and the things that might be more lucrative if you could pay more attention to them. You've done an amazing thing in drama; I'm serious, you could write a book about scrounging for costumes, put together a great digital book and sell them to other harried parents. Having given up what was making me crazy was good for me, and could be good for you too. With everything in an upheaval, now's the time to strike.
At 7:26 PM,
Orbie/\;;/\ said…
Thanks Sonja ... I think you have been part of my inspiration, or at least my looking at life with fresher eyes.
At 9:00 PM,
Jilly said…
i agree with tree, it's okay to do something for you at this point in time and they're not going to take cre of you, so you have to take cre of yourself.
jilly
At 11:38 PM,
vq said…
I'd like to see you focus on your amazing work and stop throwing your energy and wonderful creativity away on a school the doesn't appreciate you.
I know that might not be easy in the real world, but I wish it could happen.
And I also know that although the admins might not value you like they should, you have enriched hundreds of lives and maybe even changed a few with your drama work with young teens. And that is certainly something to be proud of.
At 6:35 AM,
Ded said…
What are you doing with your time? What things determine your drive and desire and your resourcefulness? Almost always, decisions have already been made. You are past the questioning period. You wonder if you should enter the big woods but the trees have aleady grown large around you.
At 7:15 AM,
Orbie/\;;/\ said…
Into the woods you have to go
Into the woods, be careful though
Into the woods, you never know
What's waiting on your journey
Maybe I should get a t-shirt
thanks everyone. You all are my lifeline and I fear sometimes I would drown without you
At 6:10 AM,
Brenda said…
coming in a little late here.
i say, follow your heart.
i have always tried to do that, and so far, it worked for me.
gee, my WV is prick!
At 7:45 PM,
UrbanStarGazer said…
If you have the opportunity to follow your heart, you should definitely do so.
At 12:26 PM,
Anonymous said…
Orbie, you're such a talented artist I can totally understand you focusing your time and attention on your art instead of letting people who don't appreciate your gifts siphon off your energy. I've been doing that same thing -- paying more attention to my pottery and to teaching pottery, which I love, and it's rewarding in so many ways. I wish you GREAT good luck, and look forward to more pictures, and videos of you and your work and your cat.
:)
Carolyn
At 12:29 PM,
Anonymous said…
http://www.onemotion.com/flash/spider/
PS found this spider and thought of you!
:)
Carolyn
At 3:56 PM,
Orbie/\;;/\ said…
Thanks Carolyn, I really appreciate all the good wishes. I am still weepy most of the time when I think of the over 600 kids who have gone through the program (ok some of them more than once) but that does not take into account all the families who got to watch those kids too.
Post a Comment
<< Home