Brrrrrrrrrrr
It has been bitter cold over the past few days and I still have not been able to shake the cold I had at Christmas. I called in sick on Wednesday and then they called off school Thursday and Friday due to below 30’s windchill. Puck and Maddie and I have been playing cards and having fun. It has been delicious to sleep in and feel a little better. On Friday morning we woke to frozen pipes though. That was a hassle. The cold water in the bathroom sink, the hot water in the shower and the drain in the shower/ bathtub were all frozen solid. Maddie and I turned on the heater in the bathroom and poured boiling water down the drain. Maddie focused the hair dryer on the pipes for a while. Eventually we got the cold water in the sink moving. A few hours later the hot water got going, but the drain was still frozen. Finally we took the hair drier down to the basement and taped it to the spot where it looked like we might have trouble. I was fully prepared to run that dang hair drier till it blew out and then buy a replacement, but after only about 15 minutes we finally melted through. All those years in old farmhouses finally paid off and now Maddie knows quite a bit about thawing pipes.
yesterday Maddie and I went shopping for supplies for school and for the play. It seemed to be warmer.
I have been photographing rugs and trying to get them up on the site as fast as I can. Working a little on the Vintage site too and Artfire. I got another entry in my weaving blog about the chair I am caning. We have one more week until Maddie needs to go back to school. That time has flown by. I will miss her when she goes. As always there is too much to do and now Puck tells me it has started snowing again.
yesterday Maddie and I went shopping for supplies for school and for the play. It seemed to be warmer.
I have been photographing rugs and trying to get them up on the site as fast as I can. Working a little on the Vintage site too and Artfire. I got another entry in my weaving blog about the chair I am caning. We have one more week until Maddie needs to go back to school. That time has flown by. I will miss her when she goes. As always there is too much to do and now Puck tells me it has started snowing again.


5 Comments:
At 6:21 PM,
Gail said…
I know we shouldn't have the cold weather you do although it was mighty close to it last week, but when the temps drop, we leave several faucets dripping during the night so the pipes don't freeze. Is this possible where you live in the more frozen north or is it just to cold for that? Of course, our water bill goes up but it does save on frozen pipes and plumbing bills.
At 4:23 AM,
Madeline Lee said…
yeah we do that too. It just was too little too late and they froze anyhow. We should have all taken showers the day before to keep the drain thawed, but it was the weekend and we were not getting dressed and busy with other stuff... It was a combination of goofy stuff and we should have known better. Both Puck and I lived in old farm houses and grew up much further north than this. We wont make that mistake again
At 4:24 AM,
Orbie/\;;/\ said…
dang that child logging into google
At 5:40 AM,
schell said…
It got cold here too...not as cold as you, but for us -3 is cold. Yesterday, it was up to 28 and it felt like spring.
At 3:51 PM,
Kathryn said…
Here in the subtropics of Louisiana, every time we have a hard freeze we are given dire warnings to wrap our pipes. Worse, at least once each winter season someone will turn on the propane space heater, make sure there are not any drafts, go to sleep, and wake up dead.
According to rumor, there are only two snowplows in the state of Louisiana, both of them at military bases in the north of the state. Elsewhere, when it snows (if it snows), or when it ices (if it ices), the State Police just block off the affected roads and wait for things to melt. This really freaks out people from North Dakota or Cheeseland...
Post a Comment
<< Home