Loom With A View

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Ratless

Well we have come to the end of our rat pets. Maddie's last little Rattie Girl passed away sometime yesterday. Frankly it was a blessing. First of all I have been calling the critter Rattie girl for so long I don't even remember her name. Oh Maddie now tells me her name was Calista She and her sister were adoptees from the animal shelter and unfortunately must not have had much human handling as babies. Neither of them were ever truly friendly and Maddie was the only one who could get near them without getting bit and even she was a litte wary.

We always have been of the opinion though that when you adopt a pet you must live with them through the good and the bad the best you can. Anyhow... The first rattie sister Tocana passed away last year and soon after Calista began to develop a tumor. We have been through this with our other rats and since she was a little over three years old it seemed unreasonable to have it removed. The tumor has continued to grow, but the rat has seemed relatively unaffected. When it got quite large she just gimped around. She never seemed terribly uncomfortable so we continued to just let her live her life.

Every day or so I would ask the condition of Rattie Girl and Maddie would say "oh she is getting around fine" last night I asked "How is Rattie Girl?" Maddie went to the cage and tapped on it. A concerned look came across her face and she tapped again. Sure enough Calista was dead. She had been alive that morning so it was fairly quick. I am glad we did not have to pack her off to the vet to have her put down. I really don't think she would have liked that at all.

Now the only pets we have are the two cats. It feels a little weird to be so petless, but I guess it is good for now.

I was home sick from school yesterday with a cold... I must have caught it over the internet from Spidey... we seem to share so much :) I did manage to get a few things done for the play though ... I finished the dress for the Grande Dame, Sewed a fur collar on the coat for Elwoods Sister Veta. I also sewed some feathers on the Dame's hat. I pinned a skirt in for the skinny girl and recieved two dresses in the mail that will work for my nurse and caterer. That puts me in pretty good stead for most of the costumes. Now all I have to find are huge hats for my fat-headed boys... sheesh.. I have four boys who wear hat sizes of 7 5/8ths Yikes!!! I have a bid in on a police hat and one fedora, but it is going to cost!

I sent an e-mail to the director suggesting alternative blocking for her opening scene. I hope she listens to me and changes it, but at least she has a little time to give it some thought. It is homecoming week this week so lots of stuff going on. Tomorrow is wacky hat day and I need to dig out my spider hat :) Or maybe my spider pin hat... now I don't know which one to wear.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i am sorry about the cold. and the pet. :(

     
  • At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry about your rattie,, I know I love our rats,, they are just so different from the pigs. By the way, the Emma e-mail,, I sent to a friend in need of a great laugh, and it succeeded in lifting her spirits. Thanks to you and Emma for sharing it.

     
  • At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    :-D Orbie sent that email to me too, but I almost forget my aol account--I needed the laugh.

    Sorry about the rat. On the other hand, how are the Yami and his sister (whose name I forgot)?

     
  • At 1:55 PM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    Glad you found your account Rosa... I gave Bear the link to this place so I hope he stops by. It was nice to get an IM from him... apparently he just got an AIM account :) Yami and Bella are doing just fine and pretty well keeping their grubby little kitty paws off the new sofa... we picked the right fabric though.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home