Chicken now moved to the right spot
Last Monday I finally got in to see the dentist. 8:30 appointment sat in the chair and was glad to have my book to read. (Reading Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere) Anyhow Dentist began work... Novocaine injection was awful... he started drilling... needed another shot... tooth was cracked... started root canal... needed another shot. waited more... decided to pull the tooth... still painful... He gave up and sent me to Janesville.
now it is 11:30 I have appointment in Janesville at 1:45... by that time the Novocaine has worn off. Get into that office... The first three shots about sent me through the roof. He tried to pull the thing... still pain... another two shots... another try... still pain... some more painkiller... no luck... I should mention that once I grabbed the dentist's arm (reflex) and he said "Don't Do That!" he then said that he had sharp instruments and didn't want to hurt me... it was then that I noticed that there was a Velcro strap on that side of the chair... I guess I am not the first patient with reflexes!
Dentist says I have two choices... I can wait three days and have the tooth surgically removed or 5 days and have it done with Novocaine. I said Novocaine and went off to fill my prescriptions for Vicodin and amoxicillin, one for pain and one for infection (presumably the infection was causing the Novocaine to not work)
Finally got home at 4:30... complete waste of day and numb. Spent the rest of the week building up fear about the pain of the extraction and finally could take no more. I called and rescheduled a surgical removal of the tooth. The whole thing was just freaking me out.
I am tired of falling apart. I do have a day off today though so that is a bright spot
Commments:
Mrs. Tree said...
That sounds miserable, Orb. Hope things work out better for the next go-round.
February 26, 2010 1:26 PM
Delete
Blogger vq said...
You poor, POOR thing. How I hate dental work, and I always have pain. They can't seem to get me numb.
I have to go next week. Dreading it.
February 26, 2010 3:16 PM
Delete
Blogger Ded said...
I've had more dental work than any three NHL teams you can name--root canals galore, teeth pulled, teeth replaced. I don't own a native tooth without a good pile of silver in it. While a few dentists give good to excellent Novocaine shots, most do not. If they have to give you two shots, they are only a fair to poor dentist. If they give you three or more, they are a quack. Please shop around til you find a good one. They do exist.
February 26, 2010 3:47 PM
Delete
Blogger Jilly said...
i've only had my wisdom teeth out, no other issues. for the teeth, they knocked me out cold, it was a blessing. i've never had a cavity or any root canals etc. and i am so thankful for that. i have to take the baby in for her first visit and i'm terrified it will be as bad as the eye doctor was.
February 26, 2010 4:32 PM
now it is 11:30 I have appointment in Janesville at 1:45... by that time the Novocaine has worn off. Get into that office... The first three shots about sent me through the roof. He tried to pull the thing... still pain... another two shots... another try... still pain... some more painkiller... no luck... I should mention that once I grabbed the dentist's arm (reflex) and he said "Don't Do That!" he then said that he had sharp instruments and didn't want to hurt me... it was then that I noticed that there was a Velcro strap on that side of the chair... I guess I am not the first patient with reflexes!
Dentist says I have two choices... I can wait three days and have the tooth surgically removed or 5 days and have it done with Novocaine. I said Novocaine and went off to fill my prescriptions for Vicodin and amoxicillin, one for pain and one for infection (presumably the infection was causing the Novocaine to not work)
Finally got home at 4:30... complete waste of day and numb. Spent the rest of the week building up fear about the pain of the extraction and finally could take no more. I called and rescheduled a surgical removal of the tooth. The whole thing was just freaking me out.
I am tired of falling apart. I do have a day off today though so that is a bright spot
Commments:
Mrs. Tree said...
That sounds miserable, Orb. Hope things work out better for the next go-round.
February 26, 2010 1:26 PM
Delete
Blogger vq said...
You poor, POOR thing. How I hate dental work, and I always have pain. They can't seem to get me numb.
I have to go next week. Dreading it.
February 26, 2010 3:16 PM
Delete
Blogger Ded said...
I've had more dental work than any three NHL teams you can name--root canals galore, teeth pulled, teeth replaced. I don't own a native tooth without a good pile of silver in it. While a few dentists give good to excellent Novocaine shots, most do not. If they have to give you two shots, they are only a fair to poor dentist. If they give you three or more, they are a quack. Please shop around til you find a good one. They do exist.
February 26, 2010 3:47 PM
Delete
Blogger Jilly said...
i've only had my wisdom teeth out, no other issues. for the teeth, they knocked me out cold, it was a blessing. i've never had a cavity or any root canals etc. and i am so thankful for that. i have to take the baby in for her first visit and i'm terrified it will be as bad as the eye doctor was.
February 26, 2010 4:32 PM


3 Comments:
At 1:15 AM,
mavis sidebottom said…
I have a very good dentist even though hes only 12 .I had a hangover one day and he made me a hangover cure and a glucose drink before he pulled my toothas you probably know cos my facebook status on a tuesday for 8 weeks was all dental appointments lol
At 5:48 AM,
UrbanStarGazer said…
Yikes!!! I feel for you, truly I do. Sorry to hear you have to go through all that. Did you get it done? How are you feeling?
I hate the dentist more than the gynecologist. Part of it is because I have a needle phobia. The other part is that novocaine doesn't work as well for me as most folks -- it wears off fast which is good at the end cuz I don't spend the day numb but it means that they always have to stop mid point and give me more.
If I have to do anything more than a cleaning my dentist gives me a prescription for valium to take before I come in otherwise, I won't ever go. It makes all the difference in the world. My original dentist would knock me out because, as he put it, "it's easier on everyone -- you, my staff, me, everyone" -- I couldn't agree more.
At 4:57 PM,
vq said…
My dentist tells me that if I feel any pain to raise my hand. When I raise my hand, she says, in her Chinese accent, "Oh, is ok. Almost done."
Well sure--it's "ok" with HER. It is not ok with ME. I have got to find a better dentist.
Post a Comment
<< Home