Tired today
the days go by quickly with Read 180 and Rehearsal. I get a little tired of being the bad guy though. I really am not such a mean old lady like most of the kids think. I am just a person who expects students to follow rules, and respect each other and me. I am not very tolerant of rude behavior which makes for a lot of fun in Middle School LOL
Lately I have been trying to get the kids to catch up on their writing in class. Many are sort of skimming by with work that is not quite up to par. Most are not following the directions very closely. I am hoping that by paying a little closer attention to their work that not only can I save the teachers a little time grading all those papers, but get the students into better habits knowing that someone is expecting it from them. Most are caught up now so it is not quite as harried as it was last week.
There is a great deal of paperwork for the kids to do along with the reading since it is a language arts class as well as a reading focussed class. Most is in the form of work sheets that ask them to write about what they are reading. I keep telling the kids that they are not designed as tests, but more to help them to learn how to read for meaning, but most of them wait until the end to do the sheets unless I harp on them.
I came up with a plan using post-its with the chapters labeled where they were supposed to stop and write, but I have yet to see if that is working. They leave the sticky notes in the books as markers so they are always with them... I should try to find some fun post-its so they can be different maybe for each grade... It is an ever evolving program.
This week we found out what the recommendations for staffing cuts were. They plan on dropping the entire reading program in all grades, but keep Read 180. they also are getting rid of Computer lab supervision. Both of these things are devastating to our school. I really am disappointed that we are headed down an anti-technology path.
Middle school is the perfect place for tech classes and where kids should be learning how to use software and the internet responsibly and effectively and depending on classroom teachers for that is just not realistic.
What this really means is that the person who has been employed the longest will now be out of a job after next year. It makes every support staff position in the district vulnerable to her bumping into it. It could get very ugly.
Just got my Valentines card for Puck tonight along with some puffed corn and mashed potatoes (his dentures are still a little sore) for a special treat LOL
We are so romantic
happy Valentines day to the rest of you lovebirds
Lately I have been trying to get the kids to catch up on their writing in class. Many are sort of skimming by with work that is not quite up to par. Most are not following the directions very closely. I am hoping that by paying a little closer attention to their work that not only can I save the teachers a little time grading all those papers, but get the students into better habits knowing that someone is expecting it from them. Most are caught up now so it is not quite as harried as it was last week.
There is a great deal of paperwork for the kids to do along with the reading since it is a language arts class as well as a reading focussed class. Most is in the form of work sheets that ask them to write about what they are reading. I keep telling the kids that they are not designed as tests, but more to help them to learn how to read for meaning, but most of them wait until the end to do the sheets unless I harp on them.
I came up with a plan using post-its with the chapters labeled where they were supposed to stop and write, but I have yet to see if that is working. They leave the sticky notes in the books as markers so they are always with them... I should try to find some fun post-its so they can be different maybe for each grade... It is an ever evolving program.
This week we found out what the recommendations for staffing cuts were. They plan on dropping the entire reading program in all grades, but keep Read 180. they also are getting rid of Computer lab supervision. Both of these things are devastating to our school. I really am disappointed that we are headed down an anti-technology path.
Middle school is the perfect place for tech classes and where kids should be learning how to use software and the internet responsibly and effectively and depending on classroom teachers for that is just not realistic.
What this really means is that the person who has been employed the longest will now be out of a job after next year. It makes every support staff position in the district vulnerable to her bumping into it. It could get very ugly.
Just got my Valentines card for Puck tonight along with some puffed corn and mashed potatoes (his dentures are still a little sore) for a special treat LOL
We are so romantic
happy Valentines day to the rest of you lovebirds


4 Comments:
At 11:08 PM,
Clank Napper said…
What is puffed corn? Like popcorn? or Sugar Puffs?
At 5:44 AM,
Orbie/\;;/\ said…
It is like popcorn without the hulls.... no scratchy parts... They really are sort of nothing snacks and melt when you put them in your mouth... they give the illusion of crunch though... and with the new dentures he was missing cruch
At 3:04 PM,
Brenda said…
are you having any water issues with this rain and snow melting? it is a freaking mess by me. :(
At 3:13 PM,
Orbie/\;;/\ said…
only a little bit of flooding in the basement so far... it is going to be hellish when it all melts though.. we had to cancel play practice for the fourth time due to bad weather.
My co-director lives in Madison
Post a Comment
<< Home