Loom With A View

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Back to Blogging

Got Maddie up to school on Sunday... We left at 7:00 am and stoppped along the way to see the tipi competition. Lots of slackers in our group. The guy we were really worried about didn't even do his.

Maddie's was quite competative. Much the best on the outside, but the other people we were worried about did a fantastic job of the inside of their tipi. They have been camping in one for years and it was fantastic. They made (actually I know it was Sherri) She made tiny little acoutremonts that were perfect... little parfleches and skinning racks... It really was fabulous. Maddie's has the best first impact, but for accuracy Sherri's will win... several are not done yet so we will just have to wait for judging

After that we headed to River Falls. We had to stop the van every hour to refill the radiator so that added to our trip... Puck had to wire up the exhaust when we stopped to see the tipis.

It was horribly hot and the van has no air conditioning so we were pretty sweaty by the time we got their and pretty windblown.

Things were pretty organized at River Falls... We were the last group to be able to move in though and that didn't give us much time to unload and get all that crap up to the dorm room on the third floor ( no elevator) We were all pretty dehydrated. Maddie had to go register for some goofy activites and get her computer hookup. We sent her off to do that while Puck and I unloaded stuff. Our pile was pretty dang impressive and people were quietly speculating as to whether or not we would be able to get it all in the room.

Puck had to find water and I needed to guard the stuff so we were moving rather slowly. Some very wonderful college helpers hauled the majority of it upstairs with nary a complaint (God bless them) Finally Maddie came back and said she had to go to a meeting at 3:30 well by that time it was almost 3:00... She and Puck went and got the loft for her bed (nothing could be arranged before the bed was set up) They had a little trouble with that and time was ticking. Finally the last of the stuff went up to the room along with me and Maddie's and my purses. It was all laid out in the hall and Hollie (her roomate) and her folks were fussing over something in the corner of the room. Hollie had taken the right hand side, which was hunky dory, but that is where all the computer and phone ports are. Our phone cable was not long enough and Hollie's dad was a little odd about it. He said he would bring a longer cord the next day (they only live a half hour away) I really didn't see why they couldn't just plug it in and set it on the floor, but there was some weird territoriality going on there.

Hollie's side of the room was pink pink pink... from the kleenex box to the laptop.... quite a bit different from my odd little daughter's side, which has the soul of an artist.

We briefly talked about people we both knew (mom went to the same high school as me and graduated a year behind me) We dd not know each other, but the way she said it sort of sounded like she really did remember me and it was not a good thing LOL

They finally left to give us some space. Maddie freaked a little at the time and pressure and had a little break down. I told her she didn't have to do anything or go anywhere she didn't want to and she could take all the time she needed to settle into her place. She felt she needed to go to the meeting so Puck and she walked out. I told her I would hang up her clothes and jam the rest of them in the drawers. Then she was gone. I freaked thinking I hadn't even hugged her goodbye or anything and I had a little crying spell. Puck came back pretty quick. He had told her that if it was boring to come back to the dorm, but to give it an hour. I was still a little weepy.

I set to hanging things up. We had packed the clothes in bins that I needed to take home. I stuffed the rest of the clothes in the drawers, but I am certain she will need to straighten it all out a lot better.

Amazingly all the crap fit in the room. It even looked pretty good. I hung up her sheer gold draperies under the bed and Puck unpacked the computer stuff so we could take the boxes home. We got it all in the room and out of the way so she could finish the unpacking and decorating.

She came back just as we finished and I was so relieved. She said it had basically been a big waste of time which didn't surprise me. I need to write them a letter about over scheduling the kids when they need to have some time to settle in. I know they are trying to keep the kids from homesickness, but sheesh the stress was terrible... they should at least give them some options.

Puck and I said our goodbyes (not tearful) and walked out to the car to the the bicycle. Puck gave Maddie a silver dollar that his grandfather had given his father and his father had given him when they left for college. Puck is very sentimental and I hope Maddie realizes how special that moment was for him.

We went downtown and had a drink at Emma's Bar our old hangout and the place I first got drunk in my life :) I was legal too.

After that we drove to New Richmond to stay with friends. What a wonderful time we had. Bill and Vicki are friends we met in college at River Falls and we love them dearly. Their two daughters have flown the nest so she knew what I was feeling.

They had recently fenced in their back yard and strung it up with little white christmas lights... They have a screen gazebo and we sat out there and laughed and talked all night. It was like a fairy land.

Next Morning Vicki made a wonderful breakfast which we ate in the gazebo and watched the little black squirrels frisking about. It was just what we needed.

We drove home Labor Day (Ick) Traffic got nasty at the Wisconsin Dells so we took an alternate route which did not help at all. It took us 7 hours to make a 4 1/2 hour trip.

We were exhausted by the time we got home and I went straight to bed.

Heard from Maddie a couple days later via e-mail from the basement of the dorm... She could not find her computer cable and could not get either of her phones to work or the calling card I gave her. She sounded lonely and frustrated. I searched her room and finally found the missing cord.

Puck mailed it next day and next e-mail was very relieving. She had finally met some theater people and sounded happy. Now I don't have to worry as much.

School started Tuesday and Read 180 is a bitch. Nobody knows what they are doing, the kids were not even entered into the computer until today, The icon for the program was not up till today. It is difficult working for three different teacher with completely different styles working at completely different paces. The day does go by quickly though and we are slowly getting into a pattern.

I hope we get to the real program soon or these kids will be way too frustrated to find any value in the program. I think I was a good choice for the support for this program though. I love books, I am a reader. I value and treasure reading... I will have to read some of their books soon too so I can appreciate what they are reading.

It is difficult dealing with the teacher frustrations when I have so many of my own.

My two study halls are fine though and kids are pretty good. That is a relief. When the library opens it will be better. This week is tough.

I am going close with a quote from one of Maddie's last e-mails though... I have given her a bad time since all she has met are boys so far...

"things got a bit better during academic day...cause i really only knew one person before that and that was tyler from Grim (hall)

but when we broke off i met up with the other threatre majors....found matt again and made friends with a boy named charlie whose in crabtree....so now i have a friend in every dorm on the east side it's kinda fun

charlie is a very awesome person though

he's a punk
love dancing
and is realy interested in costuming because he makes cosplay outfits and works with a group of anime people
but he also acts
is into death note and other manga
he's a pagan
and a comunist
very interesting
and we read alot of the same web comics

also there are some weekly activities that i'm looking into getting involved with

there is a dance held every tuesday night at 7
the anime club meet to watch movies evrey monday at 7
and i think i'm gonna go to the intro meeting for the dance team that's on a wednesday's...but i think rehersals are at 7 on mondays which would be sad but i will have to see

anyways

i guess i'll be off to class soon"

22 Comments:

  • At 11:29 PM, Blogger mavis sidebottom said…

    I hope college realises how lucky they are to have Maddie

     
  • At 6:44 AM, Blogger Sonya said…

    Oh, Lori. That is so sweet. You made me cry a little, thinking I'll be doing this same thing next year. I don't understand how time goes by so fast. Thanks for that great post.

     
  • At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wonderful post, Orbie. Any chance you have a photo of Maddie's dorm room that we could see? Your description of it made me really want to see it!

     
  • At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    she's not alone. the roommate sounds like a future greek re legally blond. i hope they get on together, it'd be a pain to move all that crap again without it heading home for the year. eventhough i like pink, i like the sound of maddie's room better, it seems more welcoming.

    jilly

     
  • At 10:25 PM, Blogger Jenny Robin said…

    You have reminded me of the numerous movings in and movings out of the dorm in college.

    I felt so liberated when I went off to college. Scared shitless, but liberated.

     
  • At 6:11 AM, Blogger UrbanStarGazer said…

    Awww!!

     
  • At 6:34 AM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    I still have my moments Tree... That first night I kept finding myself listening for the door to open or the beads hanging over her door to rattle... Jenny I think that is exactly the way Maddie feels. A little terrified and and very liberated. She recently wrote that she and Charlie are already planning to dress up and find Rocky Horror somewhere on Halloween... She sort of hinted that she would like me to send her her goth boots. Of course I will :) Oh and she gave me a list of plays to hunt for up in the attic too They need to read Oedipus, Miss Julie, Death of a Salesman, and only have photocopies I know we have some of those tucked away up there.

    Fez I wrote and asked her for a picture of the dorm, but she is pretty slow LOL

    Oh and I know the first two night Hollie didn't even sleep in the dorm Hmmmmmm?

    I don't mind pink either, but it was so dang coordinated and sterile.. I couldn't get a feel for what kind of person she is.. With Maddie you know pretty quick :)

     
  • At 7:33 AM, Blogger Rosary said…

    I'm sure you'll get to learn all about roomie Hollie in time. I'm wondering of much of that pink is her and how much is her parents? (they sounded from your description a bit controlling.)

     
  • At 5:28 PM, Blogger Roger said…

    Wow, that tradition with the silver dollar is sooooooo special. I hope the tradition continues for generations to come.

    I tried to prepare myself for the "Kid morphing into an adult" thing, but it still hits like a ton of bricks.

    You've raised a wonderful kid. You can be proud.

    R

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    Thanks Roger :)

     
  • At 4:06 PM, Blogger W. D. Cat said…

    *peeks around corner*

    Hard to believe Maddie's in college! You and Puck gave her the perfect send-off, though. (And the silver dollar is just wonderful.) Warm thoughts to all!

    Vorp

     
  • At 5:03 PM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    Vorpalcat.... how the heck have you been :)
    thanks for stopping by. I think of you often and miss you

     
  • At 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good Lord, it is VorpalCat!!! Hey girlie, where ya been?

     
  • At 5:42 AM, Blogger W. D. Cat said…

    Hi Orbie and Rosa (and everyone else)!

    I've been missing the Shelfers moreso than usual lately, went sniffing around yesterday and hey presto. :)

     
  • At 10:14 AM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    http://abookshelf2.org/blog/
    come over to the dark side

     
  • At 1:48 PM, Blogger W. D. Cat said…

    Would love to! 'Cept it doesn't like my WordPress login. (Works fine to sign into WordPress itself, just not the WP login page for the Shelf.) Do I need to contact someone about setting up a special userid/pwd for the Shelf itself, perhaps??

    (Sorry for taking over your comments like this! Certainly wasn't my intent last night! :-/ )

     
  • At 2:15 PM, Blogger Sonya said…

    Vorpol, I need to sign you up. Please send your login and password of choice to treesquish@aol.com and I'll hook you up. Your first two comments have to be approved (anti-spam measure). See you soon.

     
  • At 3:07 PM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    Vorpal I never get this much action on my blog... use me baby, use me :)

    I am just happy to see you and Tree will fix you up slick as a whistle

     
  • At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    vorpal! hello. nice to see you again.

     
  • At 4:30 AM, Blogger W. D. Cat said…

    Tree: Done and thanks!

    Orbie: Now there's an offer that can't be refused, heh!

    Spidey: Hihihi!!!

     
  • At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow, hi Vcat, great to see you!

     
  • At 7:15 AM, Blogger W. D. Cat said…

    Hiya Fez! (Really, I'll make it out into the Blog Proper eventually. :) )

     

Post a Comment

<< Home