And so Ends my Rug Season
And so Ends my Rug Season
Not in fire, not in ice, but in rain!!!!!!
Yesterday we got up at 5:30 got last minute stuff packed into the van and set off... We usally pack so much stuff in the van that Puck has to sort of lie on top of the rugs in the back... He usually gets a bit of a nap in and I drive.
I had a huge supply of wool balls and had woven pretty steady over the past few weeks to make up for the rugs I sold at the beginning of the year. I wove some truly lovely brown and grey wool rugs that turned out even better than I expected. Brown is sometimes a tough color to come across in rags, but I had enough to do a 30 yard warp.
I got approved for my credit card merchant account and got all the training I needed and the 800 numbers I need to call... I dug out my old knucklebuster (old fashioned credit card machine) that Puck had brought home a few years ago when the bike shop he worked at went bankrupt.
We all were really thinking this would be a great show. Lake Geneva is a lovely little tourist community and a lot of Chicago people come up "north" for the weekend to shop and to boat and relax.
The forecast was for rain but you never know and it is always a bit of a crap shoot in art fairs. We got set up pretty quickly, but almost immediately it started to rain. The fair was right across from the lake and you could see the thunderclouds coming over the water. It rained off and on pretty much all day. I only sold 3 rugs and I talked every one of them out of using a credit card. They paid cash. I only sold about 12 wool balls. It was a little disheartening.
The jeweler next to me said she was not coming back as did a few others, but I hate to bunk out on a show. The fee was a little steep (a hundred dollars for the space) so I wanted to see if I could make back my fees at least. We decided to wrap up everthing tight and come back today.
On the way home our windsheild wiper decided to come undone. It was pouring rain and Puck and Maddie finally taped the thing together after we had stopped twice. We also were losing water in the radiator. Got home and it rained all night. The basement flooded and between the three of us we sucked up about 30 shopvacs of water.
Looked at the forecast which predicted rain all day and set off once more. It poured rain most of the drive there, but the tape held on the wiper blade :)
When we finally got there we saw that the rain had pooled so much in the tent that it had collapsed the canopy. Fortunately it only had a small tear at one side and the tent itself was not damaged. We pulled the coverings off the rugs and while most of them were dry the center top section was dripping wet. It was still raining and we saw that most people were packing up to leave. I couldn't see much reason for staying and wet rugs are a real problem. Mildew will kill them and I don't have much space for drying. We decided to just pack it all up and go home.
It took about 2 hours to pack it all up since we had to put the dry rugs in plastic bags so they would not be contaminated by the wet. Puck has a certain method for packing which puts the tent in the van in the middle... Well we were still needing the shelter as the rain really started coming. He lifted the gate on the van and hauled stuff up under that. Finally we got everything in the van and drove home in pouring rain all the way. We all were sopping wet and cold.
I hauled out my wood drying racks and set them up in the basement. I spent the next hour hanging up the really wet rugs and washing my flannel coverings and the towels we had used. I am hoping they get dry in the next couple days so I can unpack the dry rugs from the van. I think I will have to re-tag all the wet ones... their labels look pretty funky.
Puck was able to get to his bartending job a little early and Maddie just left to get us some Chinese food... I still cannot seem to get warm and I am feeling pretty low about the show
and just to prove how out of it I am I just posted this under the Dog's Bollock and had to re post it here... sheesh
Not in fire, not in ice, but in rain!!!!!!
Yesterday we got up at 5:30 got last minute stuff packed into the van and set off... We usally pack so much stuff in the van that Puck has to sort of lie on top of the rugs in the back... He usually gets a bit of a nap in and I drive.
I had a huge supply of wool balls and had woven pretty steady over the past few weeks to make up for the rugs I sold at the beginning of the year. I wove some truly lovely brown and grey wool rugs that turned out even better than I expected. Brown is sometimes a tough color to come across in rags, but I had enough to do a 30 yard warp.
I got approved for my credit card merchant account and got all the training I needed and the 800 numbers I need to call... I dug out my old knucklebuster (old fashioned credit card machine) that Puck had brought home a few years ago when the bike shop he worked at went bankrupt.
We all were really thinking this would be a great show. Lake Geneva is a lovely little tourist community and a lot of Chicago people come up "north" for the weekend to shop and to boat and relax.
The forecast was for rain but you never know and it is always a bit of a crap shoot in art fairs. We got set up pretty quickly, but almost immediately it started to rain. The fair was right across from the lake and you could see the thunderclouds coming over the water. It rained off and on pretty much all day. I only sold 3 rugs and I talked every one of them out of using a credit card. They paid cash. I only sold about 12 wool balls. It was a little disheartening.
The jeweler next to me said she was not coming back as did a few others, but I hate to bunk out on a show. The fee was a little steep (a hundred dollars for the space) so I wanted to see if I could make back my fees at least. We decided to wrap up everthing tight and come back today.
On the way home our windsheild wiper decided to come undone. It was pouring rain and Puck and Maddie finally taped the thing together after we had stopped twice. We also were losing water in the radiator. Got home and it rained all night. The basement flooded and between the three of us we sucked up about 30 shopvacs of water.
Looked at the forecast which predicted rain all day and set off once more. It poured rain most of the drive there, but the tape held on the wiper blade :)
When we finally got there we saw that the rain had pooled so much in the tent that it had collapsed the canopy. Fortunately it only had a small tear at one side and the tent itself was not damaged. We pulled the coverings off the rugs and while most of them were dry the center top section was dripping wet. It was still raining and we saw that most people were packing up to leave. I couldn't see much reason for staying and wet rugs are a real problem. Mildew will kill them and I don't have much space for drying. We decided to just pack it all up and go home.
It took about 2 hours to pack it all up since we had to put the dry rugs in plastic bags so they would not be contaminated by the wet. Puck has a certain method for packing which puts the tent in the van in the middle... Well we were still needing the shelter as the rain really started coming. He lifted the gate on the van and hauled stuff up under that. Finally we got everything in the van and drove home in pouring rain all the way. We all were sopping wet and cold.
I hauled out my wood drying racks and set them up in the basement. I spent the next hour hanging up the really wet rugs and washing my flannel coverings and the towels we had used. I am hoping they get dry in the next couple days so I can unpack the dry rugs from the van. I think I will have to re-tag all the wet ones... their labels look pretty funky.
Puck was able to get to his bartending job a little early and Maddie just left to get us some Chinese food... I still cannot seem to get warm and I am feeling pretty low about the show
and just to prove how out of it I am I just posted this under the Dog's Bollock and had to re post it here... sheesh


5 Comments:
At 10:04 PM,
UrbanStarGazer said…
What a bummer!!! Sorry to hear about your show. Hope nothing's ruined.
What'd you get for Chinese food?
At 5:34 AM,
Orbie/\;;/\ said…
Thanks and I had orange chicken and Maddie got Crab Rangoon, as to my spaghetti sauce
I peel and process 1 giant steel bowl of tomatoes (preferably roma)1 green and 2 red peppers chopped, 4 to 5 large onions chopped,I usually saute the vegetables in a little olive oil before I add them to the tomatoes cup of vinegar (to keep the acid content high) cup of sugar (to counteract the acid taste) 3 tablespoons canning salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 cup fresh parsely
4 or 5 bay leaves
1 tablespoon oregano
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1/4 cup sweet basil
1 tsp garlic powder
The tomatoes, bay leaves, sugar vinegar, salt and pepper go in a roasting pan (I have a stainless steel one) and go in the oven where they cook down... the processed tomatoes should fill to about an inch below the rim of the pan. After a few hours I add the other ingredients and when it is reduced by at least 2/3 we can it. This makes between 4 and 5 quarts of sauce depending on how late Puck wants to stay up. Over the winter we just take a quart, add a pound or so of cooked ground beef and it's supper.
I have never used any pesticided in my garden so I am fairly confident of the ingredients. I usually have to buy the red peppers and onions now though
At 7:16 AM,
Orbie/\;;/\ said…
oops I meant 2 green bell peppers and the red peppers are also bell
At 11:39 AM,
Anonymous said…
sounds like you needed a good hot toddy. hope you dry well.
jilly
At 10:20 PM,
UrbanStarGazer said…
Interesting. I've never seen a spaghetti sauce recipe made in the oven. It actually sounds yummy! I'm going to try it but . . . in smaller portions. Thanks!
Post a Comment
<< Home