Loom With A View

Monday, October 23, 2006

Big doings in our small town

This weekend our town had a book festival. I should have been more involved, but I still have not shaken this stupid cold.

We had several well-known authors come into town, but the keynote speaker was correspondent Helen Thomas. Over 800 people showed up to see her... the theater was filled, overflow into the cafeteria of the High school and on into other parts of the building. I guess she was wonderful... my co-director Rob was able to spend 45 minutes speaking with her on Friday ... we are all a little in awe of him today. the other Authors were Michael Perry, David Maranis, and Kevin Henkes.

Rob and Kevin (our librarian) have been working on a middle school book project for the past year. Students have interviewed local people and are telling their stories. I got roped in because of flattery "oh Lori you have a good eye, tell me what you think of this?" I am always ready with an opinion, but I do have a pretty good eye LOL

I ended up formatting the stories and selecting fonts and pictures to illustrate them. The two gentlemen gave their presentation at the Sterling North home. It is Sterling's 150’Th birthday and since he is our local celebrity, well except golfer Steve Stricker, we are celebrating his birthday in a big way.

I unfortunately was sort of stuck helping distribute garbage bags for most of the morning. Our big middle school fundraiser is the sale of garbage bags and there is one day that we distribute them. A new teacher was in charge this year and she failed to note that the big book festival was the same day. Sheesh, she had enough to do. I have helped for 7 years now and really didn't feel I could let her down, especially since so many of the other people who usually help were involved in the book fair.

It rained all morning but the garbage bag people just kept coming so I never had a chance to get away. I felt bad. I had hoped to see Kevin Henkes, but by the time we were done with bags I was frozen to the core and just wanted some hot chocolate and a nap. Sunday Maddie and went to the film festival (day two of the book festival) She had been dragged to the film selection meeting. They tried to find films based on books. We went over for Rebecca and it was wonderful to finally see it on the big screen (well really the moderate screen, but larger than TV anyhow)

We had to sit through the last 45 minutes of "The Great Gatsby" bore bore bore, but it was worth the wait.

Friday I got an e-mail telling me that the festival was going to need both dressing rooms.... I was mighty pissed since all my costumes were in the girls dressing room and no one had mentioned any need of two rooms. The wardrobes are not secure and half the costumes are mine including some rather valuable furs and hats. I sent a rather hot e-mail off and several people offered to store things, but that would not help... I had things placed around the room where I needed them and how I needed them and separated into theirs and mine.

Lisa the library aid took it upon herself to move the things but until I actually got over there after school and checked it out I envisioned disaster. Everything was fine though. I took a few things home and simmered a little.

Today we got more bad news about the play... The middle school counselor came to me asking to use the epac (theater) on Nov 1 for a lyceum. I knew Puck would be pissed, but our contract says that our sets must remain mobile so I had little choice but to tell her that it would be ok and that I would break it to Puck. Just like I thought he was and is mad and hell, but there is nothing to be done. I think we have come up with some solutions, but boy that knee-jerk reaction can be mighty powerful.

I stopped back to the theater after school to put everything back, but it had already been done. I found Paul (the guy I sent the pissy e-mail too) and thanked him. I also apologized for my pissiness. He told me he didn't take it personally sot that was good

it is pretty chilly, but we are off to a choir concert tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home