Loom With A View

Monday, April 13, 2009

Back to Work

First day back after vacation is never fun. the kids were not ready to come back and neither was the staff.

Puck and I drove up to Lake Elmo Minnesota on Saturday morning for Easter with my baby sister Sarah. We had to leave by 6:00 am in order to get up there in time to pick up Maddie and get to Sarah's in time. I drove the first leg. I am slightly more speedy a driver than Puck so I made good time and did not get caught speeding unlike many others out there. I just try to keep up with the flow so I am usually good. Puck took over when I had to stop for gas and a pee... he drove for about an hour then started to feel ill. He takes meds for a familial tremor and sometimes they don't seem to agree with him. He does not eat when he should and I think that is part of the problem. Anyhow I had him pull off the road and I took over driving again.

He slept most of the way to River Falls. We got to Maddie's and picked her up in plenty of time. We drove to Hudson and got a hotel room where we planned to spend Saturday to Sunday in order to have some quiet time with Maddie. When we got to Sarah's most of the family was out hiding eggs.

Turned out that my brother needed to leave early to take his son to a soccer practice. It is always something. Puck had slept most of the way so was feeling pretty good again. I gave him our eggs to hide and hauled the rest of the stuff into the house.





Maddie's big Easter haul















Maddie and her cousin Ryan chomping at the bit to get out to the hunt














Here we have one younger brother defending his haul against his older brother










Here are most of the cousins in a family portrait. It is tough to get us all together













Now the cousins are not little kids any more. I think the youngest is in 7th grade and the oldest is 26. Everyone wanted to hunt eggs though so we lined them all up by age and at five second intervals let them out the door. It was the most fun I have had in ages, watching all those big kids racing around hunting for eggs. My sister Ellyn has three boys and they were fierce trying to steal eggs from each other. One brother had a hole in his bag and all his eggs were trickling out... his older brother was snatching them up as fast as they fell. It was hysterical.

They all had a great time. We usually put some slips of paper in some of the eggs saying see Aunt so and so for your prize. Then we have grab bags of larger prizes. Three of us put seed packets in our eggs LOL... I had some little purses with some coins in them and a dominoes set and some nerf footballs. Maddie only got one of my slips thank goodness.

We had a great meal and my sister Ellyn made a great carrot cake cheesecake combo. I need to get her recipe. We visited and laughed and talked for a couple hours. I love that the kids are old enough to join in the conversation now.

after that Maddie and Puck and I headed back to the hotel... we watched a little tv, Maddie worked on a pen and ink drawing for art class and then we went swimming or rather Maddie went swimming and Puck and I sat in the whirl pool enjoying the warmth.

Next day we were on the road by 11:00 and again I took the first leg... stopped after three hours to get gas and a little lunch and Puck was again not feeling well so I drove the rest of the way home. He had to be at work by 5:00 and I knew I could get us home in plenty of time :)

We were home by three thirty and he was feeling pretty good by the time he left for work.

I am plugging away at getting rugs uploaded and coming up with names for things. Slow but steady wins the race I guess

2 Comments:

  • At 7:26 PM, Blogger vq said…

    Sounds like a total blast! I do love Easter, and family get-togethers.

    We didn't hide any eggs, but we did dye some and we all made each other big, silly Easter baskets full of goofy stuff. (Dave's had, among other things, a bottle of Jameson's whiskey and a jar of jalapeno-stuffed olives.) MIne had Chicks and Rabbits (I love the disgusting things, but everyone else is sickened by them), a bag of Munchos chips, which I love but which you can only obtain at gas stations, and a lint roller (a lint roller?)

    As Hallie and I were walking to the car after our four-hour marathon at church--big rehearsal and then singing in two services--she found three plastic candy-filled eggs stuffed deep into the landscaping, missed by the Sunday School kids at their earlier egg hunt! So Hallie got to hunt a few eggs, after all!

     
  • At 10:43 PM, Blogger UrbanStarGazer said…

    Sounds like a great time. I love the picture of the cousins, especially the look on the kid on the lowest step's face.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home