Rendezvous
Well we got home safe and relatively sound from Rendezvous about 4:00 pm on Sunday.
We went up Friday right after work. Puck was subbing but we had packed the cooler that morning and got things pretty well organized. We had been packing all week and were ready to go. We have a bit of a bald tire so were a little apprehensive but decided to go ahead. Got on the road and heard some weird whistling sounds. I figured it was a strap on the pod and it seemed to get quieter when we were driving. Puck turned up the radio so it wouldn't bother him so much.
We got about a half hour past Madison when someone drove past us and frantically gestured that something was wrong up top of our van. We happened to be right at the rest stop exit and pulled in. Sure enough the top to the pod had come loose and was ready to fly off. thank goodness for the good Samaritan. The pins that were holding it were gone so we frantically searched for some paper clips. Thank goodness the bank clips your money together and we throw them in the cup holders. Got that all clipped and checked our water (the tank runs dry sometimes) it was good and we were back on the road.
Got up to camp (Puck had set up the lodge on Monday so that was ready to go) at about 6:00 unloaded everything and set to putting things right. I set up the cook box wrong and when we went to fix it I conked Puck in the head quite hard with one of the legs I was flipping around. That was not good. Eventually we got things put right and got a fire going. Unfortunately when we opened up the cook box we found rust and water issues in much of the stuff. It took a while to clean things off which was a hassle. We had washed all the dishes ahead of time, but my wooden salt and pepper shakers never did get dry. Had a few mouse chews on the wooden spoons too, but I washed them in bleach and oiled them.
ok back to the camp. Puck went off to the bathroom and didn't come back for an hour. I was waiting for Maddie and Matt to come. They had said they were leaving at 5:00 and they are only 3 hours away at the most. I accounted for dilly dallying and she said she would be up around 10:00. Well at 9:30 I started to get concerned. Unfortunately the campsite is a deadzone as far as cell phone signals and I had no bars at all. Puck finally came back from his travels and visiting around 10:30. I saw a car come in and thought it was the kids, but no. I was starting to get quite worried, but didn't know what to do. Finally for my own piece of mind I decided to drive somewhere I could get a signal and call. We hiked down the hill and pulled out at around 11:30. We stopped a couple places, but no signal. Finally we drove all the way into Lyndon Station and called. Did Maddie have her cell phone on? Of course not!
I left three panicked messages and we drove back to camp. By this time I figured their plans had changed and they had no way of letting us know. At least I knew they weren't stranded in the middle of nowhere. The rest of their route is interstate where they could find help if they needed it.
Puck and I went to bed. Once I thought I heard Maddie's voice and hollered out but is wasn't her.
Later in the night I woke up to rustling (Mom ears) and there they were. It was 2:00 am but they were safe and sound. They had gotten off to a late start, but Maddie knew I would panic so they left anyhow. Then they got quite lost because they were not paying attention, but alls well that ends well. We went to sleep and got up in the morning a little later than usual.
The weather was a little too beautiful. The nights were very pleasant but the days were a tad warm. I threw tomahawk poorly, but did not totally embarrass myself. Maddie didn't do too well either, but neither of us has thrown in a while. Puck did better than usual,but unfortunately so did a lot of other guys.
Played my banjo with the hammered dulcimer player and bass player. Sherrie even brought her guitar over and a guy with an Irish drum beat along. It was great fun and the highlight of my weekend. We played together three times. I did a little visiting with people, but mostly just sort of vegged with Maddie and Matt when they were around.
I made my famous caraway beets for the camp potluck. I was playing in the band so had Maddie peel the beets. I hollered over to her to ask if she needed help and she quipped "You keep your beats mom and I'll take care of mine" that was funny.
Camp supper was fabulous. We had chicken over biscuits and the table just groaned with all the cast iron.
It was a great good time, but that shower was fabulous to get home to.
I finally took pictures of the stairs to hell. Believe me you time your bathroom breaks at that place. Last year they finally put up a porta potty up on the hill, but it really is for the infirm and I am not quite willing to bend to that yet. My knees are feeling it today though
We went up Friday right after work. Puck was subbing but we had packed the cooler that morning and got things pretty well organized. We had been packing all week and were ready to go. We have a bit of a bald tire so were a little apprehensive but decided to go ahead. Got on the road and heard some weird whistling sounds. I figured it was a strap on the pod and it seemed to get quieter when we were driving. Puck turned up the radio so it wouldn't bother him so much.
We got about a half hour past Madison when someone drove past us and frantically gestured that something was wrong up top of our van. We happened to be right at the rest stop exit and pulled in. Sure enough the top to the pod had come loose and was ready to fly off. thank goodness for the good Samaritan. The pins that were holding it were gone so we frantically searched for some paper clips. Thank goodness the bank clips your money together and we throw them in the cup holders. Got that all clipped and checked our water (the tank runs dry sometimes) it was good and we were back on the road.
Got up to camp (Puck had set up the lodge on Monday so that was ready to go) at about 6:00 unloaded everything and set to putting things right. I set up the cook box wrong and when we went to fix it I conked Puck in the head quite hard with one of the legs I was flipping around. That was not good. Eventually we got things put right and got a fire going. Unfortunately when we opened up the cook box we found rust and water issues in much of the stuff. It took a while to clean things off which was a hassle. We had washed all the dishes ahead of time, but my wooden salt and pepper shakers never did get dry. Had a few mouse chews on the wooden spoons too, but I washed them in bleach and oiled them.
ok back to the camp. Puck went off to the bathroom and didn't come back for an hour. I was waiting for Maddie and Matt to come. They had said they were leaving at 5:00 and they are only 3 hours away at the most. I accounted for dilly dallying and she said she would be up around 10:00. Well at 9:30 I started to get concerned. Unfortunately the campsite is a deadzone as far as cell phone signals and I had no bars at all. Puck finally came back from his travels and visiting around 10:30. I saw a car come in and thought it was the kids, but no. I was starting to get quite worried, but didn't know what to do. Finally for my own piece of mind I decided to drive somewhere I could get a signal and call. We hiked down the hill and pulled out at around 11:30. We stopped a couple places, but no signal. Finally we drove all the way into Lyndon Station and called. Did Maddie have her cell phone on? Of course not!
I left three panicked messages and we drove back to camp. By this time I figured their plans had changed and they had no way of letting us know. At least I knew they weren't stranded in the middle of nowhere. The rest of their route is interstate where they could find help if they needed it.
Puck and I went to bed. Once I thought I heard Maddie's voice and hollered out but is wasn't her.
Later in the night I woke up to rustling (Mom ears) and there they were. It was 2:00 am but they were safe and sound. They had gotten off to a late start, but Maddie knew I would panic so they left anyhow. Then they got quite lost because they were not paying attention, but alls well that ends well. We went to sleep and got up in the morning a little later than usual.
The weather was a little too beautiful. The nights were very pleasant but the days were a tad warm. I threw tomahawk poorly, but did not totally embarrass myself. Maddie didn't do too well either, but neither of us has thrown in a while. Puck did better than usual,but unfortunately so did a lot of other guys.
Played my banjo with the hammered dulcimer player and bass player. Sherrie even brought her guitar over and a guy with an Irish drum beat along. It was great fun and the highlight of my weekend. We played together three times. I did a little visiting with people, but mostly just sort of vegged with Maddie and Matt when they were around.
I made my famous caraway beets for the camp potluck. I was playing in the band so had Maddie peel the beets. I hollered over to her to ask if she needed help and she quipped "You keep your beats mom and I'll take care of mine" that was funny.
Camp supper was fabulous. We had chicken over biscuits and the table just groaned with all the cast iron.
It was a great good time, but that shower was fabulous to get home to.
I finally took pictures of the stairs to hell. Believe me you time your bathroom breaks at that place. Last year they finally put up a porta potty up on the hill, but it really is for the infirm and I am not quite willing to bend to that yet. My knees are feeling it today though


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home