Loom With A View

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Weekend

Maddie couldn't get Friday off so we left for LaCrosse at quarter to 5:00 am. It was pretty early, but still saw people on the road. Stopped for gas and filled it up. That cost me about $40.00. Drank some more coffee and Maddie set up the Harry Potter tapes we were planning on listening to on the drive.

LaCrosse is about 3 hours away and I was not really certain I could find the college, which is where the show is. This is a very nice show and is a combination of a small traditional arts and crafts show and a Traditional music festival. They had a concert on Friday featuring John McCutcheon and Wisconsin Public Radio usually covers the show too.

Anyhow... we were tooling along pretty well. I probably push the van a little more than I should, but we were running a little late. We got past Madison and almost to the Dells when it started to rain hard. I flipped on the windshield wipers and after a couple of swishes the drivers side wiper just flew right off the van. I was going 65 mph and now was totally blind. I quickly fumbled for my flashers as I was putting on the breaks and pulling off to the side of the road. Maddie had to be my eyes and I could only use the wipers judiciously for fear of scratching the windshield. She had earlier tried to take the wiper from the rear window off, but couldn't budge it. The nice Trucker, who I know only stopped because of the struggling cute teenage girl, was not able to help us either. Geez!

She saw an exit and we haphazardly exited the freeway. I had the window unrolled but all that did was get me wet. I really could see nothing but lights. Of course at the bottom of the exit there was road construction and little cones detouring us all the hell over the place. Maddie is shouting "nope, a little more the left mom, no no, not that much... now to the right, there you go..." We both were a little freaked.

Finally managed to get over to the Kwik Trip... No wiper blades there... Crawled across the road to the other station and they didn't have any either. sheesh... Maddie grabbed some towels from the gas pumping area and wound them around the empty wiper. She took her hair tie off and bound the wad to the blade. It looked pretty pathetic ,but worked a little bit.

The guy at the last place gave us odd directions to a truck stop. We stopped at one more gas station that was closed and went on following his directions. After a mile or two and not finding it we turned around and went back. Maddie still is guiding me. We got through the detour cones and back up on the freeway. It was straight and there was not too much traffic. I was able to maintain a pretty competitive speed, which help fling the rain off the windshield. Finally saw some lights and the sun was finally coming up so we exited again and hopefully pulled into another station. Maddie saw the wipers in the window and we were both mighty relieved.

Only problem was neither of us had ever replaced a wiper before. We both went in and it was another Kwik Trip type store with a young woman at the counter. Fortunately she knew what she was talking about. She let us haul one wiper after another out to the van to see which one fit. The she offered to help us put it on. She even was going to give me some tape to tape it on. Now that was service. Maddie managed to figure out how it went on and off we went. Of course by then we were quite late and the rain had stopped.

Got to the show about an hour later than we hoped and got set up. I have not done this show for three years and everyone was very happy to see me. It was a little embarrassing. I sort of felt like I had deserted them. We were only about a half our late in being set up so that was ok.

The music was fabulous and I had a pretty good crowd at first. I sold one of my favorite rugs right off the bat. I was a little sad since the judge had not been by yet and I was hoping that one would help me win a prize (money is good) also I only had woven it at the beginning of the year and sometimes I like to hang onto rugs for a while to sort of enjoy them. Some are like children and you want to enjoy their company for a year or two before they go to a new home.

The judge came by shortly after that rug left and she was the nicest woman I have ever had judge my work. She talked with me at length and spent a great deal of time looking over my work. Most of the time judges very unceremoniously dismiss rug weavers as low crafters. Some weavers do just crank out rug after rug after rug, but so do some potters, painters, photographers, whatever. I work very hard designing each rug. I carefully select fabrics that are similar weights and weaves. I consider before I cut rags into strips what effect it will give. Stripes give very different effects when cut with the stripe as opposed to against the stripe. Most of my rugs are one of a kind and I do not weave standard lengths. I also often combine colors that take several years to sell, but that is ok. Yes I do get a little defensive about my art. It is challenging to work in a linear medium and not have the flexibility a painter or potter has. Well enough of that!

My sister Ellyn came to the fair and we had a great visit. While we were talking the Judge came back with some of the officials of the show and presented me with an Outstanding Design award. I almost broke into tears. It is so great to be appreciated. (and the $50.00 didn't hurt either) Later she even came back and bought a rug. That is something I have never had happen!

My sister took home a rug that has been hanging around for 5 years and I am glad it went to her house. It has a little silver and gold thread running through it so it sparkles. The colors are red and green and it will be great for Christmas in their beautiful log home.

It was not a great show, but the gyros were delicious and the music was wonderful, and the people were so glad to have us back. Maddie got a lot of needle felting done and I even did a couple of flamingos on balls. She sold three of her balls so made a little money. Of course she spent it on jewelry, but what the heck. We swapped some balls for a cute necklace from one of the other artists and that is always fun too.

The weather was fabulous and we had a good visit with my sister and her family when we went back there after Saturdays show. Sunday was pretty slow, but the egg rolls were great and again the music was great. Someone brought in their collection of exotic snakes so that was way cool too. I saw a corn snake with the loveliest coloration. I would love to weave that pattern of black and red rust.

We only sold 4 rugs on Sunday, but I think I will have to come back next year. Got packed up and headed for home. Spent $45.00 in gas (there goes the prize) and got home about 10:30. We need to stop every hour to check the water in the van so that takes a little time too. We are all getting old.

Yesterday I woke up earlier than I thought so I went up to school to get my keys and get a head start on my room. The other three teachers have their own rooms to get ready so I want my room to work My Way! They will just have to deal LOL

Fortunately no one had done much so it was ok. We have a new eighth grade reading teach who I have yet to meet and she has no experience in Read 180. She is only there for the year too since the regular reading program is being eliminated due to cost cutting. Hopefully I will have a job at the end of the year, but this year looks to be a bit of a blood bath with bumping since most of the jobs cut are people who have been at the school since the dark ages. I hope I find out early enough to find another job.

Got the car unpacked quickly yesterday and the back seat put back in. Fixed a couple things for Maddie so she can start loading up the van. We take her back up to school on Sunday (she can't get into the dorm till Monday and School starts Tuesday so I have to be back Monday night) She will be on the second floor so that is one flight better on my knees.

Oh and last but no least I have lost a total of 10 pounds Yippee for me! and that was even enjoying that delicious gyro and eggroll at the fair and a little stop at McD's on the way home... I did get an orange juice though instead of a malt so I was at least thinking about it :)

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home