Loom With A View

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Killer Cat... well close call anyhow

So... This weekend I had a show in Lake Geneva... one of the ritziest tourist towns in Wisconsin. Weather was supposed to be beautiful. Van was packed, gassed up and alarms were set for 5:30 am.

My husband has reached an age where his bladder no longer lasts the whole night before it needs emptying. Just before 5:00 I vaguely heard him getting out of bed to go downstairs... Something odd came into my head and I thought "please do not fall down the stairs" I have no idea why ... maybe because he sort of sleepwalks down to the bathroom and goes right back to sound sleep when he gets back. Anyhow half a minute later I hear a terrible crash and the sound of someone falling down stairs.

I flew out of bed screaming "Puck" "what happened?" Blasted the light on and there he was sprawled on his back at the bottom of the stairs not moving. I was frozen, calling to him... Maddie was behind me groggily asking what had happened... as she was talking to me Puck started moving and I started going down the stairs. He was pretty groggy as well, but told me that the cat had been on the second step and he had stepped right on him and fallen.

By this time Puck was in the bathroom and seemed amazingly coherent. I told Maddie to grab a flashlight so we could check his pupils and then I grilled him about what day it was, his birth date, name and other stuff. All this he answered quickly and smoothly.

He then went to lay down on the couch and I told him he had to come back upstairs where I could keep an eye on him. Meanwhile Maddie was now swooning. I think for her it was the shock and fear. I got Puck back upstairs and grilled him some more. Heck he was more coherent than usual. Then no Maddie... so I went back downstairs to see what had happened to her... she now was slowly coming up the stairs holding a bucket because she was so nauseous and dizzy.

Needless to say I was awake by then. Puck swore he was ok so we went to the show. Maddie slept in the car and felt better by the time we got there. It took forever to get to the town since the main road in was closed for construction and they detoured us all over hell and back. After all that had gone on that morning I was close to just turning around and heading home, but I already had well over a hundred dollars invested in the dang show and it is my job.

We called home to check on Puck again once we got set up. He said he thought he had broken a couple toes and we told him to get to the emergency room if he really thought they were broken.

The show was almost a complete bust. sold three rugs. barely paid for the entry fee. stopped at Puck's work on the way back and he was limping, but looked pretty good for someone who had almost died. He said his leg was covered in scratches and I had seen a couple scratches on his head. He also said he remembered somersaulting down the stairs at least once. Thank goodness he had been an athlete. I think it saved him. I am certain the scratches were from the terrified cat who was tumbling with him. Puck does not wear pajamas so was quite vulnerable in the fall.

I was very relieved to see that he was doing pretty well and told him to call me if he needed a ride home. He walked though and seemed much better this morning. Toes were not swollen and he could wiggle them so probably not broken. It is still scary to remember.

Went back to the show today and again terrible. Three more rugs and that was it. Even had rain . Could not catch a break

I guess we are lucky to be alive Yikes!

7 Comments:

  • At 5:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Poor Puck! Poor kitty!

     
  • At 6:52 AM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    I called Puck at work just after I posted this and he sounded much much better. Apparently though some drunken woman had earlier thrown her cell phone and hit him in the head (he thought she was aiming for another woman) anyhow he threw her out of the bar and she called the cops (weird)

    anyhow I asked him how he was doing and he said fine and we again talked a little about the fall. I told him how he had looked dead and he said that the first thing he remembered after the landing was Olympic judges holding up score cards of 9.1

    so maybe he wasn't quite as coherent as he seemed.

    Yami has been walking around a little warily, but unharmed. The first night we stopped in to check on Puck he asked us to keep an eye on Yami because he thought he had hurt him... but it appears Yami is very much a survivor and quick on his kitty feet

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Blogger Jilly said…

    I am so glad we don't have stairs inside the house and the most dangerous part of getting up to pee is running into the footboard of the bedif you're not careful.

    Jilly

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    We live in an old two story Victorian house so the stairs are not carpeted and a whole story down.

     
  • At 4:30 PM, Blogger vq said…

    Man! You really ARE into drama at your house. ;)

     
  • At 9:56 PM, Blogger UrbanStarGazer said…

    Holy crap. Glad everyone is okay! Puck wasn't nekkid, was he?

     
  • At 4:15 AM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    Actually he was nekkid and my second thought (actually it may even have been my first thought) was "Oh no I can't let my daughter see her father naked. I guess daughter trauma trumps husband trauma when push comes to shove.

    I am just glad it all worked out and that he miraculously had no lasting injuries

     

Post a Comment

<< Home