Loom With A View

Friday, July 18, 2008

The Play's the Thing

Tuesday (Puck’s birthday) we went to see our second play in Spring Green. Coincidentally it was Midsummer Night’s Dream, which of course features Puck the fairy. It was fun to take a him to that play. It was a fabulous production. Unfortunately only Puck and I could sit together, but Maddie sat in the front row and got to see the show very close up. She enjoyed it immensely and did not care that she sat with strangers. They set the play contemporary, but the fairies were in fanciful costumes as well as the players when they did Pyramis and Thisbe. Our Milliner friend Michael made very creative masks for all the characters. Puck was not too thrilled about the modern costumes but it got me to wondering if during Shakespeare's time they would have dressed in Greek costume or contemporary Elizabethan costume. I do not know enough about the history of Shakespearean production. Perhaps someone can answer that for me. The house was packed and we gave them a standing ovation, something that Puck and I rarely rise to.

On a side note we have been listening to Virginia Woolf's "Orlando" in the car and enjoying it quite a bit. I have never read any of her books. I may have to listen to the tape again, but the language is beautiful, the story interesting and the reader is very good.

The weather here is hot, hot, hot and humid. Humid. Humid. The mosquitoes will carry you off if you stay outside for a second. It is good to stay inside. Today is the start of our local tobacco heritage festival and Puck did a bicycle clinic at the library. I just saw the sign and it says "Featuring Puck W., the coolest sub at the middle school" that made me laugh.

There was also a used book sale that the Friends of the library put on and Maddie and I stood in line waiting for it to open at 8:00 along with the book guys I have seen there for 9 years. We were missing a couple of the regulars. Maddie headed over to the mysteries and I went over to the books on tape and the videos. Frankly I am pretty well saturated with reading material and do not need the temptation to buy more books.

Maddie is a big fan of several mystery writers. Dean Koontz, Patricia Cornwell, Laurence Sanders, She made up a spread sheet of their booklists with her own collection marked off and printed that off to take to the sale. She filled up three cloth bags of books, mostly paperbacks along with 4 lps.

I found three books on tape. "The Reader" by Bernhard Schlink, "You Suck" by Christopher Moore, and Southern Cross by Patricia Cornwell. I am trying to avoid abridged versions of stories so had to pass up a whole bunch, but I think these will be fun.

I also picked up a mess of videos. they had a ton and it was difficult to wade through them. I may go back after they are better picked over, but I got Small Time Crooks","Introducing Dorothy Dandridge", "A Chorus Line", "The Hurricane", "A Murder of Crows", "The Cook, The Thief, his Wife and Her Lover" (this one I have seen and thought Maddie might enjoy)"Remains of the Day","Johnny Got His Gun", and "Chinatown" I also bought "Wocket in my Pocket" and a book of Movie Monsters. All this for under 10 dollars. Pretty good deal I would say.

Maddie and I went garage sale hopping since it was city wide sales today too. She picked up all manner of odd things including some old bottles (her downfall) some jewelry,a rather large hunting knife, a leather punch and some clothing. I bought some jewelry and some storage drawers. I showed great restraint LOL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home