Loom With A View

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Weaving and Dieting and one Show

I was inspired to leap once again into the breach of weight loss by my Stepmom/best friend Jan who also struggles and has been quite successful with Weight Watchers this time.

All that being said I have never been good at diets. I usually just get pissed off that I cannot eat what I want to eat and that it is so damn hard. I was watching the Today show and they had some little blurb on going slow, aiming for one pound a week by dropping 500 calories per day from your diet. Jan had also impressed upon me the importance of writing everything down.

Well I did a little research and found a few sites that I could search calories on, bought myself a little notebook and started a little over a week ago (actually almost two weeks ago) It has not been too bad at all. As of this morning I have lost 8 pounds and am lighter than I have been in a couple years. I notice the difference and Hope I can hang in there... I am going out to lunch tomorrow and dinner the next day and that might be a challenge.

It is nice to be on a diet though that seems forgiving.

enough about that for now.

All the rest of my time has been spent on Weaving and preparing rags for this last stretch of shows. I had one in Baraboo yesterday. I had not done that show in a couple years so didn't know what to expect. Maddie and I got up at 4:30 am and set off at 5:15. Found the courthouse square and our spot pretty quickly. Maddie got started on the base to my large display and I continued to haul the rest of the stuff out of the van. It was exciting to have a new tent. It was so pretty and white!

About halfway through unpacking I realized I had not seen the "Black Bag" this is the bag that holds all the connectors to my grid system and the wheels to my racks. When we packed up the van most of the stuff was still in there and we had assumed the bag was still in as well since none of us remembered taking it out. I freaked and called home... Puck was sound asleep and very groggy. I am not so good with the cell phone as it is and so it took a little to finally communicate the problem.

He was going to search for it and we were basically standing still now. Maddie and I emptied the van and set up what we could, but that left most of the rugs lying around. I asked Maddie to call Puck back to see if he had found it since I figured he would be less likely to grumble with her and she is much better at using the phone than I am. Kind of tricky, but I really was freaking and didn't want to make the situation any worse.

It turned out he found the bag in the pirate chest we made for the last play. Of course then I remembered that he had it in there to keep it dry in our leaky garage. Sheesh. Never will we pack without the checklist again! We waited and waited. It is about an hour and a half away and finally Maddie went down to the corner of the block to flag down. Her timing was good and we flew through building the grids and shoving the rugs in.

Only about 15 minutes late so not terrible... Puck drove back home and Maddie and I sat... and sat... and sat... I didn't sell a single rug until a little after 1:00 It was very discouraging. Wool balls were selling fairly steadily thank goodness. Finally I sold a rug, then another and in the end 5 (pretty terrible show) I had two other vendors buy four more rugs which helped a great deal, but all in all it was disappointing, especially with the extra round trip.

I was exhausted and went to bed early after I reconciled my receipts and sorted out the cash and checks :) That is always the final end of the show.

The van will stay mostly packed for the next two weeks... I am off to Lake Geneva next weekend and LaCrosse the following. I don't think I am going to work too hard on weaving though. Maybe I can finally sit and read a book this summer

3 Comments:

  • At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Orbie, have you made an ebay store yet?

     
  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    no, but I hope to find some time to make an Etsy store soon. It is getting harder and harder to haul stuff and once I lose Maddie to her own life I probably will have to quit doing shows

     
  • At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Linda Snyder (not LPW, but Linda from VA) has a store online for the stuff her husband makes and seems to do okay. the knitting/crochet club at my school has an e-bay store. all of the proceeds go to make-a-wish.

    jilly

     

Post a Comment

<< Home