Loom With A View

Sunday, June 15, 2008

driving driving driving

Friday Maddie and I set out on our journey up north to Minnesota for my niece Becca's graduation party.

Thursday they closed much of I 90/94 (this was the route we would be taking) due to massive flooding... Friday morning I checked the Wisconsin DOT and perused the flooding map... frankly more of south central Wisconsin was flooded than was not. The Wisconsin Dells were pretty much under water, Baraboo was closed. Highways leading to Milwaukee were closed and the interstate was still closed. They recommended no travel at all in south central Wisconsin

Well we printed the map, Grabbed the Wisconsin Gazetteer and set off for my sister's house for the first leg of our journey. Maddie mapped out a route that seemed closure free and I drove while she gave directions. A journey that should have taken two hours took four. The only really iffy spot was Spring Green where the water was up to the road on both sided for much of the highway... not over, but even with it.

We spent the night with Ellyn, checked the map again (no changes) and left early for Wilmar Minnesota. They had not gotten as much rain so the roads were pretty good for the next 5 hours of driving. Got the the party a little late, but had a good visit with family... by then we had put 400 miles on the car. after the visiting was done we drove back to my baby sister's house in Lake Elmo Minnesota. I knew I did not want to be driving flooded roads at night so I imposed on her.

We had a nice visit there as well and the kids got me to play Dance Revolution and bowling on their Wii system. It was fun. They have a new puppy too who is adorable. A little golden retriever and just a sweetie. They have only had him for a week so he is just getting used to his new digs.

We left Sarah's at 10:30... made a quick trip to the cometary to visit mom and dad and leave our customary pennies on their tombstones and those of my cousin and aunt and uncle. Then we were on our way home.

I had printed an updated flood map at Sarah's. A smaller portion of the interstate was closed so Maddie found a route that looked promising and we went for it.

Unfortunately her route ended up being the main detour for the interstate and we ended up in major traffic for a few miles by Portage. We tried to get around it, but ended up driving through some water running over the road so we turned around and rejoined the line. There is a heck of a lot of water out there.

We also stopped and bought Puck a new sump pump for Father's day :) The gift that keeps on giving... I figured there would not be any to be found down here. We have had water threatening dams and spill-ways and I don't think they really know when the interstate will open again and how much damage has been done by the water. It is pretty bad

the normally 5 hour trip home took us 8

I am very glad to be home

10 Comments:

  • At 12:44 AM, Blogger mavis sidebottom said…

    On the bright side you wont have a hopse pipe ban this summer

     
  • At 9:03 AM, Blogger vq said…

    Very glad to know you're ok and above water.

     
  • At 5:12 AM, Blogger Brenda said…

    are all these floods going to affect your rug shows?

     
  • At 7:02 AM, Blogger Madeline Lee said…

    I spoke to my friend who works in Spring Green at the theatre last night and he said that main street is ok. That is my first show at the end of the month so I should be good. The other three shows are at the end of the summer and hopefully things will be better by then.

    I am a little worried that gas prices will keep people away, but we shall see.

     
  • At 8:18 AM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    darn that child of mine... yes that is me as Maddie

     
  • At 8:42 AM, Blogger Jenny Robin said…

    You are BRAVE! I'm glad you had a fun and safe trip.

     
  • At 6:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    we had a ton of rain 2 years ago at this time of year after we first moved in.

    a month ago it rained and rained. it's been pretty dry since but we need some of your water.

    jilly

     
  • At 7:21 AM, Blogger Madeline Lee said…

    I think many people in southern Wisconsin would be happy to get rid of their water Jilly, although we have been drying up.

    it rained a little yesterday, but thank heavens nothing signifigant

     
  • At 7:22 AM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    again that would be Me as Maddie

     
  • At 3:12 PM, Blogger Brenda said…

    so how was your birthday????

     

Post a Comment

<< Home