Loom With A View

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Trial of Socrates

Today Maddie is lawyer for the prosecution of Socrates. They get extra credit for dressing up and more if they stay in costume all day. Last night she wrote her closing arguments and I was suprised at how passionate it came across. I think she may have a little bit of lawyer in her.

It was a half day yesterday but the afternoon went way too quickly. Mad had too much homework. She had missed classes due to a Forensics meet and had to write a 5 paragraph essay on video games contributing to violent behavior. They had a class debate and so she had to make that up on paper. Then she had an assigment for health class to look up three colleges and compare them under 10 different catagories.

Sometimes I forget how difficult something that seems so easy to me can be for other people. I am a good internet searcher. Not on par with our peerless Mum of course, but I can hold my own. I am good with Key Words and quickly discarding useless information. Maddie had spent four days in the computer lab at school looking for three colleges that had majors in Forensic Science and come up with very little.

In 15 minutes I found her three schools which offered reasonable majors translatable to degrees in Forensic science here in Wisconsin. She was up till Midnight searching the college websites, but was able to finish the health homework.

This morning she dressed up in her chiton (basic tunic) was a beautiful gold floor length dress with just enough gold thread pattern to make it look interesting. I had bought it a few years ago for our renaisance unit here or perhaps a play, but no one ever wore it. I had a nice long piece of white gauzey fabric with a silver thread going lengthwise through it that she used for a hymation. I suggested her bangles go up on the bare arm and she scooted them up. I quickly rummaged through my necklaces and found a very nice rather byzantine looking gold one with lacy dangles. I had another bag full of giant 80's earrings and I found a very nice pair that looked like hammered gold. We had only a couple minutes to get her hair swept up and out the door. She looked pretty cool though even though we were running so late I couldn't get a picture. Hopefully tonight .

I drove her in and managed to spill my coffee on her dress, but I think it will dry ok Sheesh! Today I helped one of our former teachers to scan and convert her overhead presentations to powerpoint. Lots of scanning and fussing. I think she will be able to do much more on her own now. Lucky I had a teacher cancel most of the day on me so I had time to help her.

the weather is finally above freezing and you would think it was summer... Friday is another day off, but we could sure use the rehearsal time

1 Comments:

  • At 6:53 AM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    so true Jilly and it is one ot the things I admire in her as well and am a little jealous of at the same time :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home