Loom With A View

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Yippee no more school till Monday

Last Weekend I drove up to River Falls for Theater Alumni day and to see Maddie. Long Drive but I had American Gods to listen to. Got through one tape which I thought I had listened to earlier... rummaged around for the next one. We always have a system of keeping the spent ones down and the next ones up in order. It sounded like a jump so I took it out. Sure enough I was missing the next tape... I then recalled that we had listened to it in the van which does not have a tape player so of course the missing tape was in the machine still sitting at home. Dang it all

I listened to Public radio the rest of the trip and that was just fine. It was a beautiful day and I made good time. The trees were amazing for most of the trip. Got to RF and found Maddie at home in the dorm. We had a nice visit. I brought her some Halloween stuff and some Goodwill finds which she enjoyed. I had bought little snow globes for her and her roommate with their names on them too just for fun.

Maddie had a ton of fiber stuff to show me and that was fun. She had dyed a silk scarf that she was unhappy with. I really liked it so she gave it to me :). We went off to the theater and wandered around a little. One of the props that Michael (her godfather) had loaned her had come apart and so I got out my needle and thread and set to repairing it. It was a golf bag from the 1930's and a little fragile, but I got it sewed up pretty well and hope it lasts through the play.

Michael showed up just as I was finishing and he said it looked ok. Thank heavens for that. Maddie had to start getting ready for the show. They were doing "Something's AFoot" a murder musical mystery. Michael and I caught up and wandered around the building. Stopped in the fibers studio and got a chance to see some great felt work.

Went back to the reception and visited some more. Not as many people as we hoped to see, but caught up with a few old friends. Got talking to Maddie's adviser and she told me that Maddie should be working toward getting into Yale's graduate program in theater. That floored me a little. I sort of laughed, but she was serious. Later she told another friend of mine (someone she did not know I knew) that Maddie was already ahead of where the other student who had been through Yale's program had been at that level so that is something to think about I guess. I have no idea how we would pay for it, but what the heck! Sometimes it is just nice to be asked.

The show was good. It was a complete farce and everyone died in the end, but the cast was funny and they worked well together. Maddie's telephones held up under a great deal of strain put on them by the rest of the cast and I almost had a heart attack when Michael's chamber pot was being tossed about on the second story, but other than that I enjoyed the show immensely.

After the show I scooted back stage to say goodbye. Maddie and her co prop person were covered in soot (one of the crew things they had to do was soot up one the actors faces when he pokes his head in the fireplace) They had been goofing around and were almost covered. I kissed the top of her forehead, but could not hug her.

Then it was off to my friend Vicki and Bills. We had a lovely visit and I slept like a log. In the morning it was snowing though and the trip home was not so fun.

Windshield wipers make me sleepy and it was a long trip. It was good to get home

The week has been short but seemed long and I am glad for a few days to regroup.

Went to my friend Vicki and Bills

7 Comments:

  • At 9:12 PM, Blogger Sonya said…

    I can't believe it's already snowing there, Lori. It was almost 70 here today, still. I saw your note about SparkPeople. It's such an overwhelming web site. So many different things to do and track and all the boards. Hmmm.

     
  • At 2:36 PM, Blogger Ded said…

    I believe Yale has a "need blind" policy towards graduate school admissions. That is, if you get in, no matter what the family can contribute, they will find the monies to pay your way. Now, if..I mean when..Maddie gets in, let me know. Uncle Ded is just a few blocks away.

     
  • At 4:17 PM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    Cool Dick...Now I will really have to push her... just call me Mama Rose

     
  • At 7:53 AM, Blogger Sonya said…

    What a wonderful opportunity for Maddie if that's what she chooses.

     
  • At 8:22 AM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    Right now I think it is far beyond anything she has ever thought about. Robin (her adviser) was probably right in planting the seed now though to get her focused if she wants to be.

     
  • At 1:09 PM, Blogger Ded said…

    The opportunities at the school are teriffic and well known. But there are 3 other major public theatres in town and several lesser ones, all vibrant and well attended. Plus, if you can stand our Xmas decorations, our 4 cats and my fish chowder, you and Puck can stay with us during any visit.

     
  • At 1:49 PM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    Ok Ded now I have it in writing :) I would love the chance to meet you and your family in person after all these years. And Cats Fish and Xmas decorations could not possibly be a problem for me. Now the fish chowder... I might have to bring my own cheese :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home