Loom With A View

Saturday, October 04, 2008

While I am waiting for pictures to load

I am editing my pictures in ETSY which takes a little time so it gives me an opportunity to write about the past two weeks... Yikes has it been that long?

first of all was Geek Kon. A gathering of all things and people geek in Madison. This was the second annual convention and Maddie was at that one too. This year she brought two fellow geeks with her. They were going to get an early start, but I should have known better. They got here about 8:00 pm and headed straight back out the door to the local high school football game, but only to see the pep band. They got back in at about 11:00 and we tried to figure out where everyone was staying and what the schedule was going to be. Maddie had dyed her hair a gothy black so that took a little getting used to.

Puck thought she looked like his sister,but I didn't see the resemblance. We dragged the boys up to the attic to find an outfit for Chris. We tried several things, but Abel finally said we could put together a Dr. Who outfit that would work. He was rattling off every single actor who has played Dr. Who and it was a pretty impressive display of geekosity. He is Nigerian and a vinyl geek too (that would be records) He was drooling over Puck's collection. We finally got everyone's costumes organized.

About 2:00 I was ready to go to bed, but Maddie asked if I could curl her hair. I sleepily agreed then hit the hay. They were getting up at 6:00 am but had no clocks so I agreed to be the alarm. I got up and fried some bacon for the troops. Then I woke up Maddie. She got the others up after she got ready and by then the rest of their group had appeared. It was a quite an interesting group of kids in their Steam Punk and Anime get up.

Maddie Michael (the boyfriend)and Abel were all Steam Punk. Chris was Dr. Who and the rest were Anime.

They finally hit the road at about 9:00 and we had peace and quiet for the rest of the day. Of course they did not get home until Midnight so I stayed up another night. They had won Best in Show for the Masquerade and were very pumped up about that. Maddie had made some awesome techno steam punk guns from some caulking guns she found in the trash.

The next day the same routine only Maddie and Michael decided to play as if the guns had exploded. He came over early to have his face destroyed and Maddie did a powder explosion on her own face. I wish I had a steadier hand ... my pictures did not come out quite as nicely as I wished. They decided to come back to the house after the Kon to pack and say goodbye so we eventually saw them again at 6:00. It was a brief visit, but always good to see her.
I have pictures on facebook
I hope this works

I was so tired on Monday I could barely keep my eyes open, but I made it through the day. The whole week was bad. Then I got a call to help out the http://www.edgertonbookfestival.com/ and could not really say no.

They had almost 50 authors selling their books plus films. Earlier Denise Vega had given some workshops at the middle school and John DeDakis gave a couple clinics as well. I saw some of them. I was in charge of watching the performing arts center so most of the time I was watching a film. Not a bad gig. Jean Feraca spoke and read passages from her memoir. I have always loved her on Wisconsin Public Radio so it was a real treat to see her in person and hear her speak.

in between all that I have been felting and that is about all.

6 Comments:

  • At 5:19 PM, Blogger mavis sidebottom said…

    so which dr who was he?

     
  • At 5:45 PM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    sorry Mum I have no idea by the time Abel had dressed him I had no clue which one they were going for LOL

     
  • At 5:58 AM, Blogger Brenda said…

    sounds like a great time for geeks everywhere.

     
  • At 7:04 AM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    OK Mum I asked Abel which Dr.

    He was the 10th doctor (David Tennant)

     
  • At 7:05 AM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    I recall Abel saying, when we needed a belt and all I had lying around was a red leather one that "It's the Doctor!, He wouldn't care"

     
  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger Jilly said…

    lord i'm old. i've never seen anime, dr who or read a comicbook. a lot of my kids are into this stuff and i just smile and pretend i understand wtf they're talking about. but to my credit, at least 3 times a week i'm asked for a hall pass, so i'm not ready to retire just yet.

    jilly

     

Post a Comment

<< Home