Loom With A View

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Costumer to the stars... well sort of

Spent most of my weekend shut up in my studio sewing rags together into rug balls. I still have to warp up, but this will give me a good notion as to how much purple warp to put on. I got quite a few sewn up, but there is much to do.

Friday I got a call at work from a lady who managed to get cast an an extra in the Johnny Depp movie that is shooting here in Wisconsin. It is called Public Enemy and the state has been buzzing about the filming in various locals for a month now.

Apparently she and her husband have a vintage car and they want to use it in the film. The asked if she could be riding in the car with her husband, but she would have to provide her own costume. She had been referred to me by a mutual friend.

I sort of sighed and told her to call me at home and I would see what I could do. We talked for a couple minutes and I could see no way out of having her come over to see what we had for her. She was really just looking for some kind of referral, but I couldn't think of anyone.

I did not relish the thought of hauling anyone, much less a stranger up into my hell hole of an attic, but what the heck.

She came over and dang it all she brought her husband. Maybe I sounded scary LOL

I brought them up to the studio (the one I am in the process of cleaning and working in) I apologized for the horrific mess and told them not to worry about stepping on all the stuff they needed to step on to be in the room. I needed to close the door to keep the cats out of the attic, but that meant they both needed to come into the room along with me and then I needed to close the door and block it shut with my sewing machine. I had just gotten it back from the repair place and it was the heaviest convenient item. With a little maneuvering we all got situated and I pulled down the attic steps

They are also tricky because the spring slips off the little ledge and I have to use a long dowel to sort of hold it in place with one hand while I pull down the steps.

That took a couple tries, but finally I got the stairs down and warned her about the state of the attic. I never bring people up there!!!! I was able to find 4 dresses I thought might work. I had her try them on up there since I really did not want to haul them up and down the stairs any more than I had to.

We finally found one that fit... then I dug around for a hat and thank goodness there was one sort of on the surface. We all maneuvered back down the stairs and I found her some gloves... then asked if she had jewelry... nope ... I found her a pair of earring too.

I sure hope she gets in the movie lol I asked her to get me an autograph if she ever got close to Johnny :)

All I have to say is Thank Heavens Puck has spent the past week cleaning the house so it looked relatively tidy. bless him.

He also worked in the garden all week. He is getting to be a pretty good gardener.

11 Comments:

  • At 3:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Now if I am ever in need of a vintage dress, or a new one, I know just where to go. :)

    Ded

     
  • At 2:45 PM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    Anytime Dick Anytime :)

     
  • At 4:43 PM, Blogger Jenny Robin said…

    You did a great job describing this. I can picture you and the two guests maneuvering around piles and furniture, stepping on this and that. Ha!

     
  • At 6:26 AM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    Detritus
    My "studio" is really just a small bedroom with two closets filling the one wall. In one I have my warp and yarns piled to the ceiling and in the other I have most of my costume books, tools, patterns and some wool and rugs and smaller hand looms. On the back wall is a pegboard with shuttles and more craft type things on a shelf,

    Filling most of the center of the room is my rug loom. 350 pounds of solid timber and iron. It is about 5 foot square.

    on the opposite wall there is a large bookshelf which holds my music books, and miscellaneous ribbons, bias tape, buttons, tags, tools, and audio tapes.

    Along that same wall in front of the window is my treadle sewing machine. I set my old Singer on top of that to work.

    To the side of that is another bookshelf that holds all my weaving and caning books. and turning the corner to the wall with the door is a shelf with all the rest of my theater books.

    That wall is where my warping board sits and where things are in a holding pattern to either be repaired or on their way up to the attic

    When I am weaving I usually have four large plastic bins of rags that I am designing out of along with one more of blue jean rags (the new beige) I use those to finish up a warp when I run out of the dominant rag color.

    That leaves me a turning radius of about 2 1/2 feet to get in the door, turn the corner and slide past my chair to sew.

    Along side the loom is about the same space and behind the loom is again the same

    I do not spend a great deal of time tidying up since I am always sewing and clipping rags so the floor is covered in little colorful triangles, I also inevitably knock over thread and pins which get lost in the detritus on the floor.

    I also have two backup sewing machines on the floor of one of the closets

    When I call it a hell hole I am not exaggerating

     
  • At 4:11 AM, Blogger UrbanStarGazer said…

    So, did you give those things to her? Loan them to her? Rent them to her? How do you know if you'll get them back?

     
  • At 5:04 AM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    :) this is a pretty small town. She is a friend of a friend and she says she knows me from church (a place I have not been back to in a while) but I know I will get them back

    She offered to pay to rent them, but all I wanted was the possibility of an autograph.

     
  • At 10:23 AM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    one more thing that Spidey will understand. This is Wisconsin :)

     
  • At 4:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    orbie,
    my professor wants to know about your wooly balls. she finds them facinating and is a knitter etc. i want to know if i can give her your e-mail? if so, could you leave it at my blog (i havent' checked my personal e-mail in about 5 months)?

    thanks,
    jilly

     
  • At 6:01 AM, Blogger Brenda said…

    so where are you?

     
  • At 3:12 PM, Blogger Brenda said…

    hello?????? i miss you, plus you missed my birthday which you NEVER do. are you okay?

     
  • At 11:09 AM, Blogger Sonya said…

    Lori, what's happening? Please check in.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home