Loom With A View

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow



Got a Snow day today... the phone rang a little before 6:00 am. I nudged Puck thinking it was a sub job for him. He answered and said "It's for you" I puzzled over that and grabbed the phone. It barely registered that I was being told we had the day off... I had not expected that based on the forecast... When I went to bed last night we were not even in the range of the advisory.

I went back to sleep and by the time I got up there was four inches of snow on the ground and it is still coming down. Apparently it started as ice though and since much of our school district is rural that presents a particular problem. I slept till nine and finally had to get up. I do not do too well if I over sleep. I have been pretty achy all day.

Spent most of the day writing my Christmas tome and making another batch of cookies. I hope they turn out. I thought I had all the right ingredients, but was out of cocoa powder. I substituted chocolate syrup. I think it will be fine... a little sweeter and moister, but it should work ok. Time will tell. They are refrigerator type cookies and need to cool before I bake them. Right now they are on the porch cooling down.

Puck shoveled this morning and will have to shovel this afternoon too now that the plow has gone by. It has been a long time since we had this much snow. Last night we got our tree. Spent all of 3 minutes picking it out. The selection was pretty slim and without Maddie there were only the two of us to argue.

Got all my rugs inventoried and most of them are back in the basement. Puck has spent the last few days designing a volcano for the play and a couple sand dunes. Friend Rob brought him back a Cuban cigar from his trip to Florida and he enjoyed that immensely.

Over the weekend I made Christmas breads, a tradition in my family that my mother started and that we girls continue with. I hope that Maddie will keep up the tradition after I am gone as well. I made Pizzeles and spritz cookies as well. The Pizzeles are one of my favorites and I now have a lovely electric Pizzelle maker which allows me to do two at once instead of one at a time. that used to take forever.

I still have to make my mushroom cookies and gingerbread and I better make some bird's nests for Maddie too. Oh and my chocolate covered peanuts too. That is not too bad for next weekend. My sisters and I exchange cookies so I will be getting a nice mix to bring home.

Puck is back shoveling and I should go bake my cookies... that is my life

3 Comments:

  • At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your ambitiousness made me smile. Today I mailed out the parcels of candy I make for a few friends and that may be the extent of my domestic husbandry efforts this Christmas. Again, for some reason, this post resonated with me- I enjoyed it tremendously.

     
  • At 11:55 PM, Blogger Clank Napper said…

    So did I.

    Well done for making biscuits that need cooling....I always just make the straight to the oven ones.

    I am hoping to choose my tree tonight...and I will not be taking my daughter so there will only be two of us to argue too.

     
  • At 2:40 PM, Blogger Brenda said…

    thank you for the christmas card and letter. a pleasure on a cold wintery day. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home