Loom With A View

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Weekend update

Friday was the meet and greet for the authors so I went to that... not that I am an author, but I have assisted on the technical side of the book the Middle School is producing so I got an invitation. After school I got my dress ironed and my hair curled... My timing on the hair curling was a little off... I was ripping out ot the rollers as the parade passed me by. (heck that sounds like a song) It was homecoming weekend too. I only missed a little of the parade, but it was a short one.

The party was held at the historic depot in town. I had not been in it since they restored it and it was quite nice.

I was early so I helped light all the candles and wandered a bit to look at the tobacco aritfacts. They had a mess of tables set up in the big space, but I quickly found the back room where two tables were set up. That was in the pottery room. Our little town is slightly renowned for it's turn of the century potters.

It was cosy back there and away from all the people. Frankly when the pianist started playing I was transported back to my musician days. I think I have played hundreds of these things, but was always sitting and watching. That is a much more comfortable perch for me than trying to be interesting face to face.

The hors de voures were good... stuffed mushroom caps, little bisquits with cream cheese and blackberry jam,
They had some lovely local wines from Wolersheim as well. It was quite elegant... The plates were even real china with gold rims. La le da

Aparently the book festival on Saturday went well. Friend Rob introduced Jackie Mitchard. I was still in bed sleeping until ten .... Our presentation did not start until one. I got up and ironed my dress and set off.

We were upstairs in the library and my two co-presenters were already there. We sat and talked a little. We were definately winging it. The guy before us went a little long so we were a little rushed. Got through the presentation. Rob did all the talking and Kathy and I played Vanna White to him. She ran the projector and I held the posters :)

It went well and thank heavens it is over. Another uncomfortable setting for me.

On Sunday they had the film festival and showed movies in several different venues. I was not at all interested in the family films or the eco-films so I headed straight for the Anime. There was a short presentation about the popularity of Rascal the Raccoon in Japan, where it has been said he is more popular than Mickey Mouse

It went on a little long and then they played Hayao Miyazaki"s Spirited Away,

His films were featured since he had been an animator on the Rascal animated sereies in Japan, not to mention the fact that he is huge now in Japanese animated films

After Spirited away all the kids left and since one other adult had entered the room the presenter decided to rehash his Rascal talk again. I sat through that once more, but it put off the next film by almost an hour.

Howls Moving Castle was next up and was the film I really came to see. I enjoyed that one immensely.

I did not have time to see Princess Mononoke since the awards for the independant films were going on already. I quickly ran over to that building and was able to catch just the end of those presentations.

Tesla and the Bellboy won the Critics choice award so I was satisfied.

That was the weekend
Yesterday was a pisser of a day at work. I was tired and the kids were tough. I sometimes wonder if I will survive in this new job. I am not able to take criticism very well in it, but I think that is because I feel so unprepared and have no foundation to rest my rather fragile ego on.

Hopefully today will go better

5 Comments:

  • At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i love the wollersheim winery and have indulged in a number of their bottles of wine. bigjoe and i have been going there since the early 80s for wine tasting and cases of wine, which i could go for right now.

     
  • At 7:01 PM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    I somehow knew you would know it :)

     
  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger vq said…

    I loved Spirited Away. Such a wildly imaginative movie.

     
  • At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    have you received a little package in the mail for maddie?

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    Oh yes Spidey I forgot to tell you it arrived. I think I will bring it up to her in person when I go up to Alumni day on the 2nd of Nov.

    thanks so much for thinking of her

     

Post a Comment

<< Home