Two days off
Yippee for Teacher conventions.... We have today and tomorrow off and I could use the vacation from school.
Tuesday all the Read 180 people went to a training session for the day on how to run and read the billions of reports associated with the program. He was a very good trainer and we learned a great deal more than we had at either of the other two training sessions. A couple of us got into a little trouble for giggling too much... yes that would be me and the teacher next to me, but shoot it was a long day.
One weird thing that has popped up in every single meeting we have had with these people is the phrase "come to Jesus meeting" Our first trainer must have mentioned that 4 times when she was talking about students and convincing them how important this program could be for them. I just thought it was an odd little phrase. She came up for a second training at the school and used the phrase again.
then a few weeks later the salesman for the program came up to discuss issues and he used the same phrase. I found that a little peculiar. It is not something I hear often. Finally at our most recent training with a completely different guy the dang phrase popped out of his mouth. I mentioned how odd it was in the car when we went off to lunch and danged if he didn't spout it again when we came back. Emily pressed down on my hand and I could not stifle the laugh... honest it was not my fault.
I am loving Google-talk. I get to talk to Maddie a couple times a week now and all it cost me was the $11.00 microphone. She is getting acclimated to school pretty well. I can't remember if I mentioned, but she did not get cast in the musical, then she was not accepted into the dance troupe either. She was pretty bummed out, but then she found a Zombie movie to work on. It is a senior film project and she is helping with makeup, playing with latex and oatmeal and all sorts of cool stuff.
She also has been working on the set for Best little Whorehouse and enjoying that a lot. She has quickly moved up to the only girl they let use the power tools to now running the follow spot for the show. That is pretty cool.
her most exciting theater moment happened recently when she got to paint the floor of the theater. It has always been a thorn in our sides that they will not let us paint the floor of our local theater. It is kept nice and shiny for the musical performers, but it reflects light like crazy and wreaks havoc with lighting. She said it gave her quite a thrill to be dry brushing the stage floor.
The big weirdness that has happened to her is that her roommate has ditched her. She found a post-it note saying that she was moving out in a couple days to go room with a friend in another dorm. She never said a peep to Maddie about moving and poor Mad doesn't even know if the school knows that she has moved.
Maddie did send her an e-mail asking for some particulars so that at least she knows what to expect. As far as I know if roommates are having issues they are supposed to go through mediation before they move. I am anxious to find out details.
I am headed up to see the show next Friday and I hope we get a chance to talk a little.
The weather is very nice today and I think I shall go to Janesville and do a little Halloween shopping. I am way behind in getting ready for trick or treating.
THANKS SPIDEY for the wonderful card and of course the confetti :)
Tuesday all the Read 180 people went to a training session for the day on how to run and read the billions of reports associated with the program. He was a very good trainer and we learned a great deal more than we had at either of the other two training sessions. A couple of us got into a little trouble for giggling too much... yes that would be me and the teacher next to me, but shoot it was a long day.
One weird thing that has popped up in every single meeting we have had with these people is the phrase "come to Jesus meeting" Our first trainer must have mentioned that 4 times when she was talking about students and convincing them how important this program could be for them. I just thought it was an odd little phrase. She came up for a second training at the school and used the phrase again.
then a few weeks later the salesman for the program came up to discuss issues and he used the same phrase. I found that a little peculiar. It is not something I hear often. Finally at our most recent training with a completely different guy the dang phrase popped out of his mouth. I mentioned how odd it was in the car when we went off to lunch and danged if he didn't spout it again when we came back. Emily pressed down on my hand and I could not stifle the laugh... honest it was not my fault.
I am loving Google-talk. I get to talk to Maddie a couple times a week now and all it cost me was the $11.00 microphone. She is getting acclimated to school pretty well. I can't remember if I mentioned, but she did not get cast in the musical, then she was not accepted into the dance troupe either. She was pretty bummed out, but then she found a Zombie movie to work on. It is a senior film project and she is helping with makeup, playing with latex and oatmeal and all sorts of cool stuff.
She also has been working on the set for Best little Whorehouse and enjoying that a lot. She has quickly moved up to the only girl they let use the power tools to now running the follow spot for the show. That is pretty cool.
her most exciting theater moment happened recently when she got to paint the floor of the theater. It has always been a thorn in our sides that they will not let us paint the floor of our local theater. It is kept nice and shiny for the musical performers, but it reflects light like crazy and wreaks havoc with lighting. She said it gave her quite a thrill to be dry brushing the stage floor.
The big weirdness that has happened to her is that her roommate has ditched her. She found a post-it note saying that she was moving out in a couple days to go room with a friend in another dorm. She never said a peep to Maddie about moving and poor Mad doesn't even know if the school knows that she has moved.
Maddie did send her an e-mail asking for some particulars so that at least she knows what to expect. As far as I know if roommates are having issues they are supposed to go through mediation before they move. I am anxious to find out details.
I am headed up to see the show next Friday and I hope we get a chance to talk a little.
The weather is very nice today and I think I shall go to Janesville and do a little Halloween shopping. I am way behind in getting ready for trick or treating.
THANKS SPIDEY for the wonderful card and of course the confetti :)


12 Comments:
At 9:53 PM,
Anonymous said…
Was Maddie having issues with the roomate ? I hate sharing with strangers I don;t knwo why they think they can shove random peopl together and expect them to rub along happily
At 4:57 AM,
Anonymous said…
More importantly has Maddie let her RA know the roomie has moved?
At 6:23 AM,
Orbie/\;;/\ said…
that is the odd thing. Maddie and her roommate barely spoke. Maddie said they would say hi to each other around campus though and were always cordial.
I am getting more information. Apparently the RA's were well aware that she was leaving and I do not understand why they didn't talk to Maddie
Yesterday a girl stopped by to ask if she could move in with Maddie. they talked for quite a while and it sounds like a much better fit. She complimented Maddie on all her weird stuff... She is a painter and they talked about art
This girl had heard that Maddie's room-mate left because she was allergic to Maddie's perfume... pretty odd since Maddie doesn't wear perfume and Hollie was rarely in the room.
Maddie got a very nice response from Hollie though for her note saying that she had just wanted to room with her high school friend who had somehow ended up without a room-mate
I am certain there is more to this story somewhere, but I guess they have to work it all out and it sounds like it will be better for Mad in the long run
At 4:05 PM,
Anonymous said…
i say... good.
maddie needs someone who is artsy and cool...not all pink and strange.
At 4:06 PM,
Anonymous said…
and you are welcome for the card.
:)
At 4:10 PM,
Orbie/\;;/\ said…
I agree Spidey... it seems the new roommate has moved in, but Maddie doesn't know much about her yet. She is going home for the weekend so probably doesn't live too far from River Falls
I think I ticked Maddie off a little... I sent a note to her RA.. nothing mean or anything... just wondering what was going on... I think Maddie would just as soon I butted out, but heck I would not like any other students to have to wonder why their roommate up and leaves them without any notice.
At 5:53 PM,
Brenda said…
mommaorbie...
just a little mother to mother advise. don't hate me.....
this is a perfect opportunity for maddie to learn to handle adult shit(pardon me) on her own without it being too dangerous or life altering.
let go a little at a time. it is easier that way.
luv you, spidey
At 6:06 PM,
Orbie/\;;/\ said…
Oh Spidey Mom of course I could never hate you :)
and I will always take advice :)
At 4:15 PM,
Jenny Robin said…
Orbie, my first college roommate moved out on me without any notice whatsoever. I just came home one day in the first couple weeks of school, and all her stuff was gone.
At first I also thought I had done something to make her mad, though that turned out not to be the case.
I told my RA that the girl had moved out, and my RA seemed surprised that I didn't know that was going to happen.
Apparently this girl had never wanted to live in this particular dorm. She was in a sorority and wanted to live in that dorm, so when an opening occurred, she up and moved.
I was thrilled at the idea of having the room to myself, but a few days later I learned that I had to room up with one of the other girls in the dorm that also had lost their roommate.
Apparently it is pretty common for rooming changes to occur after the semester begins.
I enjoyed rooming with Alison from Freshman through Junior years, and we got along decently well.....um, until we both got crazy over the same guy and he chose her.
Then things were VERY awkward, and I had to pretend that it didn't bother me and nothing was wrong. Typical young adult woes, but my heart was broken, and it was the first time I called my mom to cry and talk to her about 'boy' issues.
Well, David ended up getting mono a few weeks after they hooked up, and that thrilled my wretched evil heart, so I guess payback's a bitch, isn't it?
Ha! This posting took a turn I didn't expect.
Best of luck to Maddie and her new roommate.
At 7:48 PM,
Orbie/\;;/\ said…
thanks for your story Jenny... I was slow to sign up for the dorm when I went to school so as a freshman I ended up with a senior... coincidently in the same dorm Maddie is in.
She was an odd little person and we did not socialize ... I met Puck pretty early in the year ... stayed with him most of the time and ended up rooming with him and another guy in the boys dorm... It all sounds so weird now in retrospect, but made perfect sense at the time :)
Maddie has still only communicated with her new roommate through notes and they seem to be getting along better than the previous one.
Her new roommate's name is Emily and she left a nice note for Maddie
"PS you have decorated your side of the room really cool!!! if you have any ideas for my side let me know."
I think they will be just fine
At 6:31 AM,
schell said…
Glad it's working out better for her!
At 5:12 PM,
Roger said…
Orbie, I call them "Come to Jesus" meetings all the time. My dad called them "prayer meetings." It's interesting to see that this isn't just a local thing.
R
Post a Comment
<< Home