Last day of school
Quiet in the Lab today, feeling fairly miserable. Our library Media Specialist has decided to move to a new school ... to elementary for goodness sakes. I and many others feel he is making a mistake, but what are you going to do? It is his mistake to make. He will be going to the same school that his wife now teaches at and it means a little more money.
He will be greatly missed and now we all wonder who will come in to replace the irreplaceable. I doubt they will find anyone as techology oriented, but maybe that will be ok too.
I have just about packed up my room, but cannot move anything into the new room because the old resident is still pretty well entrenched. He is retiring though so has to get it all out pretty dang soon. I will be in there for at least 6 hours of the day, but still don't know what I will be doing for the other two hours of the day.
I really hate being in limbo ... I am playing Jazz to help my brain not break down. My sister was let go from her job which she has had for 27 years. She is cognatively disabled and at one time it was a little debateable whether she would be able to live on her own and support herself. After my mom died my aunt got her into a school for learning disabled young adults and through them she got this job as a nursing assitant.
She had major back surgery and was out for a while and is getting older and we think they were trying to find ways to push her out. She made a couple errors in judgement and was told that they were going to let her go. Then they told her that she would be better off if she resigned rather than being fired so rather than call anyone for advice she resigned. Now she will have to wait for unemployement. I am so angry. My sister and brother are up in the area and are looking into finding her a lawyer or at least an advocate. It is so frustrating to have people take advantage of my disabled sister.
oh well I am too bummed now to write anymore
He will be greatly missed and now we all wonder who will come in to replace the irreplaceable. I doubt they will find anyone as techology oriented, but maybe that will be ok too.
I have just about packed up my room, but cannot move anything into the new room because the old resident is still pretty well entrenched. He is retiring though so has to get it all out pretty dang soon. I will be in there for at least 6 hours of the day, but still don't know what I will be doing for the other two hours of the day.
I really hate being in limbo ... I am playing Jazz to help my brain not break down. My sister was let go from her job which she has had for 27 years. She is cognatively disabled and at one time it was a little debateable whether she would be able to live on her own and support herself. After my mom died my aunt got her into a school for learning disabled young adults and through them she got this job as a nursing assitant.
She had major back surgery and was out for a while and is getting older and we think they were trying to find ways to push her out. She made a couple errors in judgement and was told that they were going to let her go. Then they told her that she would be better off if she resigned rather than being fired so rather than call anyone for advice she resigned. Now she will have to wait for unemployement. I am so angry. My sister and brother are up in the area and are looking into finding her a lawyer or at least an advocate. It is so frustrating to have people take advantage of my disabled sister.
oh well I am too bummed now to write anymore


7 Comments:
At 11:07 PM,
Jenny Robin said…
Orbie, your sister's former employer is walking a fine line. Legally, an employer cannot tell an employee that they must resign or else they'll be fired. That is called constructive dischage and is illegal.
I don't know how unemployment is handled in your state, but in Texas, if a person resigns, they are most likely not going to receive unemployment.
Best of luck.
At 9:53 AM,
Anonymous said…
some of our kids are treated like that by employers once they leave the educational system. it really pisses me off. you sister is still human and deserves to be treated as such. i think you should see an atty and call the ARC or social services.
jilly
At 12:44 PM,
Orbie/\;;/\ said…
I agree Jilly and my brother I believe is looking into it. He is much better connected in the Twin Cities than I am. We will be talking togther next week and my baby sister Sarah is helping Lisa with a letter that an attorney said she needed to write within a couple weeks to try and negate her pressured resignation. It is difficult to really understand the whole situation when I am so far away and it will be good to talk to my family when we go up tuesday to register Maddie and then next week at the graduation party... I do believe
Minnesota laws regarding unemployment status are similar Jenny.. at least it means unemployment is much more difficult to get.
At 10:31 PM,
vq said…
I'm really sorry to hear of what happened to your sister, Lori. What kind of jerks take advantage of the disabled? Maybe they could be shamed by a newspaper article or an interview with the local TV station?
At 5:01 PM,
UrbanStarGazer said…
I'm with Verb.
At 1:38 PM,
Sonya said…
Hey, I hope you're doing better. Please drop a line and let us know.
At 4:44 PM,
Orbie/\;;/\ said…
I am better now that the graduation party is over although I have spent the whole day warping and re-warping the loom 4 times today. grrrrrrrrr I have a show this weekend
Post a Comment
<< Home