Loom With A View

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The Musical is done

Got a little emotional thinking about it being Maddie's last show in that theater. She was in the very first show ever performed there. Interestingly I was in the very first show performed at the theater in River Falls where she will eventually be on stage. I also was instrumental in getting that theater and the black box theater actual names instead of "main stage" and "little theater" They are now "The Blanche Davie Memorial Theatre" and the "Sanford Syse Memorial Theater" respectively.

Both of those were professors that Puck and I had. Blanche retired the year I dropped out and San died that same year. They were both Titains of the departments and had great impact on all who met them. I am extremely proud to have been able to memorialize them.

I think Maddie is glad to have the play done as well. She has so much to do and it just seems there is so little time to do it in.

I did get a little more pissy during the play about costumes and makeup, but fairly kept my temper and opinions to myself :)

When we got to picture taking though I got a little peeved when it came time for the senior pictures. There are 10 actors and techies graduating this year and only two of them are girls. Maddie and the girl playing Eliza. Their hats were cocked opposite to each other so I thought it would be pretty to have them in the center of the picture. I asked them to move and Diva girl would not deign to sit next to my daughter. Oooooh I was ticked. They ended up on each end, but I know dang well that Diva just didn't want to sit next to my girl. She is going to be mighty surprised when she goes to her first college audition and finds out that all the rest of the divas are as good if not better than she is.

She was in the dressing room telling the rest of the actors that they needed to smile more during the cockney scenes. That when she looked around nobody was looking like they were enjoying themselves (very funny to hear since she phones in just about every performance) I cannot tell you how many people tell me that when Maddie is on stage their eyes just gravitate to her. There are only a few kids that have that stage magic. One of them will be a senior next year and I really hope they find her a great part. It is too bad that Diva just doesn't have "it". She hopes to go into musical theater. She is a pretty girl with a pretty voice, but no soul.... no "it"

ok that is enough stage mothering :)

Last week I found out that my job next year will be substantially different. I am not quite certain how I feel about it. They will be starting the Read 180 program and I will support that. Sounds like a lot of book keeping and I will lose my room :(

Perhaps it is time to move back home.

I did get the seat caned on the little rocker, but the guy left me a message that he wants the back done too so I am glad I ordered cane.

oh and someone walked off with one of my little nosegays of violets... my bet is Diva took it for a souvenir, but I cannot pin it on her. Just can't think of anyone else who might want one. perhaps I am just being mean sprirted?

10 Comments:

  • At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    congrats on making it through to the end. is there a way to move closer to family and not be too far from maddie?

    i have never used read 180. is it for kids who are behind in reading or for for everyone to pump up? i know the materials for reading class (people who have problems learning) are few and far between. i'm not looking forward to teaching reading classes.

    in baltimore city, they are getting rid of middle schools and sending 6-8 back to elementary schools adn turning all the old middle schools into high schools, so they have a bunch of small high schools. they feel this will cut down on crime and social problems in the high schools.

    i wonder how this will work since elementary education certification goes from kindergarten to 7th, and secondary goes 8-12. early ed here is pre k-2nd.
    jilly

     
  • At 10:14 PM, Blogger UrbanStarGazer said…

    The diva will probably end up a prostitute in Hollywood. :)

    Where is "home"?

     
  • At 4:27 AM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    Jilly... having worked for 7 years in middle school I cannot imagine putting 6-8 with the littler kids. That middle school age group is just that... in the middle... They are hormone rampant and figuring themselves out. They need a special area just to live :)

    I watch the shy little 6th graders when they first come in develop into the slightly arrogant eighth graders when they leave and am amazed at the changes in them. There are several this year that have the maturity of gnats and should probably stay behind, but frankly they will probably end up just being goofy adults.

    Read 180 is geared towards motivated students who are behind in their reading abilities. It has been compared to Iowa Basics. The kids go from station to station and are taught via computer program , individual reading and more formal instruction. Each grade will be submiting 18 names I think for consideration in the program

     
  • At 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    llove it when you get bitchy :D

     
  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    I am not half as nice as you people think I am LOL

     
  • At 9:07 AM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    Oh ... home is near the Twin Cities.. I grew up on the St Croix River about 35 miles from where Maddie will be going to school. I have family in Lake Elmo and Minneapolis and St Paul... I would move back in a heartbeat

     
  • At 4:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    we have reading classes for the behind readers. 4 classes are for "regular" kids and 3 are for special ed kids. the special ed kids don't use the computer, they really don't have the ability. the regular kids do something on the computer with the regular reading teacher, but i'm not sure what it is.


    maybe it's time to move home?
    Jilly

     
  • At 7:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    whatta brat, to steal your lovely thing!
    Have you heard of the poetry site Billy Collins set up? It has 180 in the title too -- will look for it for you if you don't know it
    :)
    Four

     
  • At 7:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    how about an update there?

     
  • At 2:57 PM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    sorry I am just cleaning house and trying to get ready for the parties that are coming up

     

Post a Comment

<< Home