Loom With A View

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Yami Disappeared

The long weekend was nice, but not quite long enough. Puck started a new bartending job on Friday morning at a place called "7 steps to hell" It is a bar in the basement of a house out on lake Koshkenong. Maddie was going to a sleepover for a friend out in Newville which is in the same vicinity and I had a retirement party out there that same evening,

Maddie made her friend an EMO cake. She designed this little EMO character with a big head and little feet and made her first cake. Why in heavens name she chose to make a cut out cake I have no idea. She also decided to slice the head horizantally and fill it with raspberry glace filling so it would bleed when they cut into it. Very ambitious for a first project. She hunted up the recipe for Crazy Cake (a very simple chocolate cake) and a couple frosting recipes. She had to hike up to the Pig for more powdered sugar after I advised her that a double recipe would be better if she was frosting many sides of the cake.

The cake was about finished when I got home thursday, but needed to cool... I gave her a few more bits of baking wisdom and found the decorator tips for her and went to bed. When I got up I expected a mess, but the cake was wonderful. I took pictures but need to get them developed. It was adorable with greasy black licorice hair and a cute little face. She was pretty dang proud of it too.

Friday I drove her to Patty's cabin for the party. We did not have good directions and I got lost... as I was making a wrong turn for the second time I noticed a sign that said Cellar and there was Puck's car. Now I knew where he worked and it ended up being only a block from the party. It also is almost in the back yard of my friend Jean. After I dropped off Maddie I stopped in to see him and he was pretty surprised to see me.

Then I went to the retirement party. It was good to see all my old friends. Our friends Donna and Larry left early but later came back in their little flying machine and buzzed the party. That was pretty cool.

I stayed sober unlike most of the rest of the crew and went home early. Next day I did some shopping for the party then I went to meet Maddie in Stoughton at the movie theater. They were finishing off the party with "Pirates of the Carribean" The theater is unique in that it has tables and chairs and serves pizza. It was fun, but my butt went to sleep. That is one long pirate movie. Probably worth it, but long.

We got home about 6:00 and Maddie went straight to bed. I had left the screen door open to let some fresh air in. Sunday I sort of felt the absence of Yami (our white cat) but really thought he was sleeping somewhere. Bella (the black cat) was acting sort of needy, but that is not too unusual.

Sunday was a distracted day... Our pastor has been transferred with very little notice and we are heartbroken. I will miss him terribly and my banjo playing at church. I hate change!!!!!. Did a lot of cleaning on Sunday and went to bed exhausted. Monday morning I slept in a little (Maddie went off with a friend to sing at a Memorial day event) then went to put some letters out in the mail. I opened the front door and saw that the screen was pushed through and there were white hairs attached to it. I panicked. He doesn't come to Here Kitty Kitty like every other cat I have ever had. He was gone for two days I realized and he is terrified of people. I ran upstairs to find out when Puck remembered seeing him last.

He and I both got dressed and I looked around and called him to no avail. I thought for sure he was lost forever and I realized what a hole that would leave. I was standing in the driveway when Maddie came home. Her friend thought I looked mad,but I explained that Yami had gotten out and I did not know where he had gone. I had looked under the porch and in the garage... I checked back where he was born in the neighbors but that hole had been filled in.

Maddie and Puck walked around the yard and I stood on the porch calling for him. All of a sudden I thought I heard faint meowing. At first I thought it might be Maddie trying to call him. Then they came back around the house and said no they had not been meowing and it started up again and was very distinct under my feet.

Maddie scrambled over the plants in her white gauze skirt and heels and crawled under the porch. It is an old fashioned porch held up by limestone blocks. She said she could barely see his tail swishing from up under the porch. She coaxed him down, but he was scared to death. A few minutes later some friends came down the street and I sent Puck out to keep them away from the porch or Yami would have gone flying. Eventually Maddie got him to the entrance and I was able to grab him by the scruff of the neck. It is amazing how cats go into baby kitten mode when they are held that way... all limp and docile. I carefully hauled him into the house and he let out one low howl and ran upstairs.

Bella didn't like the smell of him and hissed and scratched at him for two days or maybe she was just pissed that he came back.

all is well now though and It is good to have them both back

7 Comments:

  • At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am glad the little booger is home safe and sound. I am sure he was terrified.

     
  • At 11:18 PM, Blogger Jenny Robin said…

    awwww, poor kitty

     
  • At 4:22 AM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    thanks, he is back to his old annoying little self :) and I am glad.

     
  • At 5:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i'm very glad you got your cat back.

    this is why our cat isn't allowed out, she wanders off and goes missing for 2 days and then turns up mad at us for letting her get lost.

    the cat also acts funny and needy when the dog goes missing, but when the dog comes back, she's pissy that she has to share. however, she knows that when the dog goes away, so to her people, and maybe that's the real reason for the attitude?
    jilly

     
  • At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    orbie, i got your postcard today and will not be able to attend, as my school doesn't let out until june 20th, and i'm rather swollen and unvomfortable (shit i have 3 months to go). however, i will be sending the sheets and something else back to you soon.

    thanks for thinking of me

    love,
    jilly

     
  • At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i am so glad you got your kitty back. :)

     
  • At 4:44 PM, Blogger UrbanStarGazer said…

    Whew! Poor kitty. Glad you got him back. Jack kept escaping from the Tahoe place and everytime I was terrfied but he was never missing for more than 30 minutes. Can't imagine what you went through!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home