Loom With A View

Friday, April 13, 2007

again the time has flown by

Maddie got home from Washington safe and sound and I just barely caught her at the highschool before she was off to the State Forensics tournament... She and her partner are doing two Monty Python sketches; "The crunchy frog" and "The dead parrot". They have gotten mostly good critiques from judges so far so I hope they continue.

It looked like she missed us a little anyhow so that made me feel good. I will have to wait to hear about the whole trip till tomorrow I imagine.


The week has gone by fairly quickly. Puck and I got our first taste of empty nesting and it is not so fun so far. We did watch a few movies.

Oh last friday our little family watched "The Exorcist" lovely Easter film that it is. Actually I don't think I have seen it since I saw it on the big screen. I read the book that year too. Maddie was seeing it for the first time. We are doing a little bit of cramming to get her to see as many classically referenced films as possible before she goes off to college. The one thing I noticed about the film that I found particularly striking was the distinct lack of music used for suspense or any hint of things to come. The theme shows up rarely and the story just creeps up on you only to be disturbed by a jangling telephone or doorbell that scares the wits out of you.

I continued to do some deep cleaning here and there, but still have lots to do. We had a half day off of school due to the odd snow storm on Wednesday. It was sloppy and wet and is pretty well melted today, but at least we don't have to make up the day.

Tomorrow I am going to a Tea Party... yes that is what I said an old fashioned tea party with finger sandwhiches, gloves and hats. The sister of a friend of mine is a milliner and makes amazing hats. She also gives these tea parties to teach etiquette and proper hat wearing. I suppose to sell her hats as well, but I cannot afford any of them. I went up in the attic to search for a hat and have found 4 possiblities. Now I need to locate some gloves and a nice dress to wear. I wish I were younger and slimmer so the selections would be a little less limiting. I did dye my hair over the break, but I could easily stand to loose 70 pounds and a middleage moustache. Ah well.

Puck went down to the place where he bartends to pick up his pay and found they were closed. He has a key so he let himself in only to find that they had neglected to renew their license and had been shut down. He collected the cash owed to him and left a note. Last time they went under it took almost a year to get his pay so I am glad he took the initiative. He was pretty bummed, but I reminded him that these guys seem to land on their feet most of the time and that they will probably be up and running again soon... I sure hope so. I hate to be backsliding again. Things were going along pretty well and I am not looking for any little black clouds to get in my way.

5 Comments:

  • At 3:35 PM, Blogger Roger said…

    Goodness, I LOVE the "Crunchy Frog" sketch.
    R

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger jilly said…

    there are a lot of tea houses in baltimore where you have to dress up nice and wear a pretty hat etc. my friends always want to go, and i'm game, but they're not really dress up people, and i'd hate to be tossed out of tea.

     
  • At 3:10 PM, Blogger UrbanStarGazer said…

    Wear that big, lovely hat you made for Maddie's play!!! With the big feathers!!

     
  • At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    so how was the tea party?

     
  • At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    UPDATE?????

     

Post a Comment

<< Home