Loom With A View

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Finally a nice day

Puck was supposed to talk to the principal about the "scary incident" I must say the child does not seem to have had any lingering trauma over the week. She was supposed to see him thursday as well about her punishment for profanity, disrespect, and pushing a teacher. Unfortunately the principal was absent on thursday so it all got pushed to friday.

I heard through the grapevine that her punishment was 43 minutes detention with the principal. Puck's punishment is that he cannot sub for 8th grade core classes for the rest of the year. He does get to sub in gym though, tech ed, and the library which are places he commonly subs. He did get a job for tuesday which will be very interesting since it is our medieval fair day and another day of rather non structured activity.

Puck was frustrated when he got out of the meeting, but much better when I got home from school. The girls mother still is avoiding me like the plague. I am not mad at her... just at her daughter. I don't think I am vibrating anger all the time, but who knows?

Maddie went up to the twin cities on an overnight band trip so Puck and I had Saturday to ourselves. We decided to go to a movie to sort of celebrate getting our drama checks. I first worked some more on beading Maddie's evening gown for the play (Yes I am over fussing, but I really enjoy that fussy work sometimes and the beads will look fabulous under the lights) It is the last costume left to complete and then she will be ready... there some little things that I still need to hem and such, but most is complete.

anyhow we decided on "300" . after seeing the previews I figured it was a movie that needed to be seen large! I knew it was gory, but the filming and surreal animation looked like it would soften that. We got popcorn and a cherry coke to share and settled in. First we were too close so we moved back a couple seats. We had a great view of the screen and although the movie was exhausting we both enjoyed it a great deal.

It was beautiful to watch... even a severed head flying off it's body in slow motion against the darkened sky was horrifically lovely. Lots of glorious abdominal muscles too :) In one scene the oracle is swirling in slow motion with the smoke and that beautiful scene is worth the price of admission. It is violent, horrible, noble, sad, heroic, sexual, and amazing.

after the film Puck had to have a ciggarette :) ... we both needed to walk a little so we made a quick stop at goodwill. didn't find any movies... but did find a couple odd figures for my nativity scene and some makeup brushes.

after that we went to Famous Dave's for ribs. 5 cars pulled in ahead of us and as we were coming in the door they were telling people 15 to 20 minutes wait. We gave them our name and started walking over to the bar... a waiter came up behind us and told us he had a table right now. It pays to be only two people in a crowded restaurant :)

The food was great and I got ribs all over my face and hands. Came home and watched an odd movie "The Ballad of the sad cafe" with Vanessa Redgrave and one of the Carridine boys I think Keith. Both of us remarked that those Carradine boys all have faces for depression movies. If they did a remake of Grapes of Wrath they should cast those boys . Anyhow the movie was pretty depressing and confusing and I don't think we will keep it.

I only picked it up since we had a copy of the play and I didn't even know a movie had been made of it. It was a Merchant Ivory film too, but very odd. I really hate totally depressing endings where justice is not served and things are not explained. I forgot that it was written by Edward Albee... that explains why we have a copy of the play. Back in 1974 when I took History of the American Theater our teacher got Albee to come to the school for a lecture. As a result of that we read every stinking play Albee every wrote (Had to buy them all too) Never learned too much about the rest of the American playwrites although we did spend a couple days on Arthur Miller and Tennesee Williams. The upshot was that Albee in real life turned out to be an arrogant pompous ass who lorded it over us peon college students, not deigning to even speak to us at the reception we threw for him. Sometimes it just does not pay to meet icons!

On friday I watched "State and Main" now that was a very fun movie directed by David Mamet

Maddie got home about 10:30 and told of her exploits. They went to see "Zombie Prom" at the Hennepin Theater and she loved it. They also spent way too much time at the Mall of America and all she got was a weasel key chain. I think she had fun, but she was very tired.

I beaded for another half hour and went to bed.

Oh and our meeting with Paul is Monday... fingers crossed

5 Comments:

  • At 5:26 PM, Blogger Brenda said…

    good luck tomorrow and i enjoyed the new post. :)

     
  • At 2:59 AM, Blogger schell said…

    Good luck with your meeting today!

     
  • At 5:14 PM, Blogger UrbanStarGazer said…

    I loved 300. Finally a movie that appeals to female aesthetics. I'm not usually into the buff kind of guy but man . . . those men . . .

    All buffed, mostly naked men, one woman. My kind of movie.

     
  • At 5:15 PM, Blogger UrbanStarGazer said…

    In fact, H and I are going to see it tonight. Him for the first time, me for the second.

     
  • At 8:20 PM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    Maddie and friends are going to see 300 tomorrow at an I-max in Madison... I am tempted to crash her date :) It will be an awsome show there... even decadent Xerxes was hot

     

Post a Comment

<< Home