Loom With A View

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Taking a break

Puck is off to work, Maddie left an hour ago and since I am all alone this evening I am taking a break from weaving to blog a bit.

The weather has finally broken. It must be 10 degrees cooler today than it has been all week. What a difference it makes. I got up fairly early today and hauled the wool balls I had finished back out to the porch to dry. It takes them quite a long time to get fully dry and I brought them in last night because rain was threatened. Now they are all back out on the wicker porch swing. I hope the reduction in humidity speeds up the drying process. I wove a couple rugs today as well. Sewed up the rags then wove them. By that time Puck was home and needed to nap before work so I went back to sewing up the batch of shirt rags I have. I guess I got about half done with the bag before my neck started cramping up so I quit.

I finally got hold of our new play director for the high school and found out that she wants to do Harvey this fall. That is sort of good news. It is a rather small cast and I worry that the kids in drama will be dissapointed. I hope that Maddie will get a part. I also hope that we have enough boys for the show. I think we have some good enough actors, but time will tell. There is always gender switching. I sent away for the script and a DVD of the movie. We own the movie (taped off tv long ago), but our copy is not very good.

Harvey is one of Pucks favorite movies so he will enjoy designing a set for the show. I hope she decides to set the play in the late thiries since I have a ton of costumes that would work. Again we will have to see how she wants to do it. I have reservations about this new director. She has a reputation for being unpredictable and spacy.

We made raspberry jam last week and picked our first tomatoes yesterday. I do so love fresh tomatoes. I have just about eaten them all now.. I think Maddie and I will watch Harvey tonight when she gets done with work.

tomorrow I need to pick up her letter jacket from the cleaners then take it to the letterers to have her other two letters sewn on. She wants all four of them on the front which will be a little tricky so I decided to pay other people to do it. We have debated whether to have them sew the pins and medals on too, but that is too expensive so she and I will get those on over the next couple weeks. She wants to have it for one of her Senior pictures, which we finally made an appointment for. The girl I spoke with on the phone assumed that I was scheduling a boy since I was so late in getting an appointment LOL. Maddie really could care less, but I would like one nice professional portrait. They showed some beautiful black and white pictures on their web site and I think that is what I would like.

There was a garage sale across the street so of course I had to check it out. I bought a pole lamp for 2 dollars. It will help visibility in one corner of the living room that I work in and does not take up a lot of space.

Puck has been painting the trim on the house. The heat has kept him from getting a lot done plus he has worked every night this week. Maddie is getting ready for fund raising car wash this saturday and has been monopolizing the computer in the process getting everything orgainzed.

well that is the news for today

4 Comments:

  • At 4:51 PM, Blogger ***LadyMtnMedic*** said…

    You were jamming in the heat? Wow! I envy you the raspberries. This summer we had a huge raspberry season around here, I feasted like a big bear they were so cheap and plentiful. Enjoy Orbie!

     
  • At 1:25 AM, Blogger Meme said…

    what is a letter jacket?

     
  • At 8:36 AM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    A letter jacket is a jacket usually wool done in a schools colors upon which you sew the letters pins and medals you recieve for participation in extracurricular and some academic activities.

    Maddie, being a bit of an overachiever managed to get all four letters.... Academic, Activity, Band, Tennis. These are giant felt letters that get sewn onto the jacket. The letters are presented for the initial achievements and subseqently pins or medals are given to show achievement after that. It used to be merely a sports thing that mostly the boys wore and cheerleaders, but now other activities are claiming status as well so there are many more opportunities for kids to get junk to wear on a jacket.

    I don't know about the boys, but the girls like the noise factor of the medals clanking on the jackets. Academics just add bars for yearly achievemnts, as do most activities and sports. Solo and Ensemble competition though gives lovely heavy medalions which clank deliciously

     
  • At 7:36 AM, Blogger UrbanStarGazer said…

    Harvey is one of my all time favorite movies!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home