Loom With A View

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

.... And this one time at Band Camp

This is the week I do my single donation of time to the high school band. They have a mini camp this week to get uniforms fitted and practice marching for the parade this weekend.

Last thursday we stalwart moms, I believe there were 6 of us, got all the uniforms down and put in order, all the concert dresses and tuxes hung up and put in order. As usual the tuxes needed to be sorted out from the Choir tuxes which are identical. The choir director is a little scary so we tried to be very careful with those. She also owns all the blue hangers so we shuffled them around a bit too.

I have continued to scan pictures, prepare rags, form balls, and drive Maddie back and forth.

I had lunch with some current and retired friends from school last wednesday. We had a great time and after visiting for a while we went to see "The Devil wears Prada". Thoroughly enjoyed that.

I forgot to mention that Maddie and Puck and I had gone to see "Pirates" which we enjoyed very much too although they set it up way to much for the third sequel. The dead sailors were a little too mushy too. Maddie had dressed up a little piratey. The Puffy shirt and a cincher. Actually I guess that would be a little wenchy, but we saw a guy in complete pirate dress with the tricorn hat, striped sock and even a tin mug strapped to his belt. That was cool. As we were walking out Puck noticed a small purse lying on the floor and went to retrieve it. It was pink and had the words "Mrs Depp" stitched onto it. Gales of laughter ensued as we took it out to the front of the theater. the ticket guy laughed too. I cannot believe someone has marketed a line of "Mrs Depp" purses.

Yesterday was blazing hot. I trudged up to the school to start official Band Camp duties. The rooms are not air conditioned and it was miserable. Danged if the first two girls in needed to be re-measured. Usually we do the seniors and juniors first. they get first dibbs on uniforms and most have not changed too much from last year. Lists are kept of who had what. I was at the checkout station, where I have been for four years now. I had two lists of uniforms. One with the kids names and numbers and one entire list of uniforms with sizes in uniform number order, which had no names.

Last year's seniors had not been taken off the list so that was the first problem. I finally found someone who could help me figure out who to get rid of, but then all the names needed to be transferred to the size list. It was messy, but finally we got it done. there was quite a flurry of activity for a couple hours, but then things quieted down.

Today the Freshman start coming in and they all need to be measured. I need to leave early to take Maddie to work and it appears to have cooled down a little, but I am very glad that this is my last year of band camp.

7 Comments:

  • At 9:11 AM, Blogger UrbanStarGazer said…

    Why is this your last year helping band camp?

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    Maddie is a senior this year and I will no longer have a kid in the band :)

     
  • At 7:05 AM, Blogger UrbanStarGazer said…

    Ohhhhhhh . . . that makes sense.

     
  • At 9:02 AM, Blogger vq said…

    Ian remarked the other day, "Know what the best thing is about being in college? No band camp."

    It was so hot his freshman year that he passed out during drill. Later that same day, he was stung by a bee during another drill.

     
  • At 6:50 AM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    We are hoping that the weather holds a little cooler for tomorrow and the rain also holds off for the Tobacco Heritage days Parade. They also just finished main street and opened it yesterday. Talk about cutting things close.

     
  • At 11:34 PM, Blogger UrbanStarGazer said…

    How come I can't comment on the recent blog?!?!?

     
  • At 7:33 AM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    I dont know Urban... I was messing with settings and screwed somthing up I guess

     

Post a Comment

<< Home