Loom With A View

Friday, March 03, 2006

Feeling Lousy

I doubt anyone has had a worse week. It started this Sunday with the cold. I took Monday off to rest and felt that that would help me recover faster. No such luck. Tuesday I went into work.... felt pretty crappy, but able to work.

I went to bed early and Maddie s at a game or something. I was just dozing off when I heard her come in and I settled down to sleep. A little while later she is jostling me awake holding a notebook in front of my rather blurry eyes.
"mom, What is this????"
"What is What"
"This" holding the notebook closer to my eyes
"I can't see anything, let me grab my glasses"
"I found it in my hair and I drew it before I smashed it"
"Ok (dread filling my stomach)"

Finally I focused on her little drawing... I knew exactly what the damn thing was. All the while she it talking to me a mile a minute.

"It is a head louse" I said
"ewwwwww"
"damn it!"

It was too late to do anything about it then, but I knew I probably had them too. Both of us had had itchy heads over the past couple weeks, but chalked it up to dry weather. It had even crossed my mind for a minute that it could be lice. I had checked her head and mine and found nothing. When she was little we went through one bout so I knew the drill.

Also from working in extention entomology I remembered "Bugs are only as dirty as the homes they live in" It did mean all the bedding and clothing though needed to be washed and sprayed and two regimes of hair treatments and combings.

I also know they are very difficult to spread... they are extremely slow moving and really do not care to leave their feeding ground. That is why they spread so often from hat to head. I am pretty sure Maddie got me when we cuddled on the couch for a movie gol dang it. She doesn't remember sharing any hats, but I see her swapping all the time and one of her good friends cut all his hair off recently. Good sign that perhaps he might have had them. It is such a dirty little secret. And I felt the same way. I cautioned Maddie not to say anything. I didn't either.

I went into school on Wednesday and planned on picking up the lice shampoo after school since I really didn't think I could take another day off. I promise I did not exchange hats brushes or combs with anyone.

Well Wednesday was my worst cold day of all I went through a whole box of kleenex... draining, draining, draining. Every few seconds I was on a new Puffs Plus.... finally went through that box and had to hit the rough tissue.. by then my nose was raw and I was a candidate for a cold commercial. Itchy watery eyes, sneezing coughing dripping. Finally I told the office I would be staying home the next day. I drove to Janesville after school to buy Rid and Nyquil and three more boxes of Puffs Plus. There was no way I was buying louse shampoo here in town.

I was still feeling crappy, but did the louse treatment anyhow and stripped the bed. As soon as I got the shampoo worked into my hair one of the little buggers showed up at the edge of my scalp. I ended up only finding three in my hair, which was pretty good and in 7 days we need to do it again to catch any new hatchlings. I think I will hit another 7 days after that just to be certain.

I did Maddie's hair when she got home from school and hers was a little worse than mine, which is why I am blaming her. Just another fun day at home. I spent the whole of Thursday in bed, except when I got up to get orange juice and make a little chicken soup.

Today both of us felt a little less itchy unless we thought about it so I think it is working. I hope so!!!!!

I made it through my school day ok with only a little nose blowing. Maddie went to a Gay Straight Alliance conference in Madison. I asked her this morning if she was still straight. She said "Yes"... I said "Just trying to keep up honey have a good time"

She later told me that she (the straights) were in the minority at the conference. It seemed to surprise her, which make me glad, but unfortunately it does not surprise me that straight students are still uncomfortable being associated with gays and lesbians. She also commented that almost all the gay,lesbian,bi students their were Goth as well. That surprised her as well.

So that is my lousy story. Feel sorry for me please!

14 Comments:

  • At 6:59 AM, Blogger Sonya said…

    Orb, that's just awful. I'm glad you're less itchy now.

    My daughter joined the Gay Straight Alliance last year and I just thought she was so nice and sweet, supporting the school's gay kids. I guess I'm just dumb. She's not goth, though. And she's happy. So that's all I can ask for right now.

     
  • At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    so spiders don't eat lice?

    Ok, I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist. Sorry about the buggies. I'd bet you're right about where she caught them.

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger Kathryn said…

    This has got to be the itchiest blog entry on Abookshelf2.org!

     
  • At 8:31 AM, Blogger Meme said…

    I remember nitty nora the school nit nurse,I think there should be a national nit day where everyone treats their kids for nits once a year then at least parents would stand a fighting chance

     
  • At 9:11 PM, Blogger UrbanStarGazer said…

    Eeeeeeeek!!! My sister had lice twice when we were kids but I never caught it. Made the hair at the back of my neck stand up reading this!! What a hassle!!

    When we were in grammar school, they did a head lice check twice a year. I always felt bad for the kids who got sent home. They never recovered socially.

     
  • At 9:12 PM, Blogger UrbanStarGazer said…

    p.s. So I hear ya on not buying the stuff in your home town!

     
  • At 4:18 PM, Blogger sparky said…

    As soon as I got the shampoo worked into my hair one of the little buggers showed up at the edge of my scalp.


    This sentence reminded me of TKMB when Scout first encounters the poor country folk on her first day of school and a cootie crawls out of a very dirty poor boys hair and scout points it out and the scene went on and on about the poor coming to school on the first day , etc etc etc

     
  • At 8:13 AM, Blogger The Broards said…

    [[[[[[[[[[cootie Orbie]]]]]]]]]]]]

     
  • At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Orbie, you know I live the other end of your life. I'm the school clinic nurse who calls the mommies to come fetch little lovely. Week before last I checked over 140 heads (our third grade switches classes alot) between 9:45 am and 11:30. Just remember...lice are good little bug mommies...they like CLEAN hair (do not tell Maddie or she will stop washing it!)They are more of a major nuisance than any harm

     
  • At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    P.S. Hi, all my old home shelvies. I cannot figure out how the you know what to leave a message on the abookshelf2.org page...someone help me!!! I am bloggerly challenged (I created the minimalist blog on worldpress and will probably NEVER be able to find it again. My myspace.com daughter would be SOOOOO embarrassed!
    (I'm gonna do my Romper Room impression now...I see Lori, and Verbie, and {{{Pete}}} and Kathryn and Rosa and Emma and Mum and Ded too? I'm so excited!)

     
  • At 11:55 AM, Blogger Sonya said…

    Ducky, please send me an email with a login and password of your choice and I will register you so you can post comments. If you ever find your blog address, send that too and we'll link you.

    treesquish@aol.com

    ts

     
  • At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    DUCKY! Woman, where the *bleep bleep* have you been ,woman????

    And how the beleep are you????

     
  • At 2:04 PM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    Well sending all those christmas cards finally brought her back LOL
    my job here is finished :)

     
  • At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, Orbie is my queen. Her job is done. I think it truly is the wool and fiber of the ties that bind us (she's a weaver and a drama mama, I'm a knitter and a drama mama) I once a long long long long time ago asked Orbie about the sn, and though I'm not spider friendly, I got around it again because of the weaving nature of it all (my great aunt...also a weaver) We do do snail mail. I have been too remedial and pooped out to even send out Christmas cards at all for the last two or three years (There are members of the friend and family pack that are going to REALLY wonder what happened to my children when I get back in the mail-the-pic-in-the-card groove) When I first found the shelf and y'all...Sarah was in Kindergarten. She is now a freshman in high school? Need I say more? I went back to an out of my house job in 2000 (substitute teaching/nursing/secretarying) for our school system (again, more Orbie ties ;-)So I hung on to my slim shiny sparkling Orbie thread...dusty from lack of use, but still strong (now say "awwwwwww") I've been living daily in an elementary school clinic for the last almost 6 years and I must be loving it, cause the bucks are ....almost invisible?!Riley is in 6th grade. The child I was afraid would never grow has gotten almost as tall as me. Sister has stopped getting any taller so petite it is.
    The years weed out the wheat from the chaff, so it's good to 'see' all the wheat still hanging around.
    The kiddos have been doing sports, and sports...and more bleeping sports...ack. The Drake and I do not do that stuff. We never DID do that stuff unless some PE teacher was involved, other than some recreational volleyball in our 20's. I hate to think about how many hours/days/years of my life have now been spent on the side of fields and courts. Riley played soccer, football, basketball and is now on "hiatus" while he adjusts his snarky little attitude to middle school. Sarah has played soccer, took a 2 year sport hiatus (thank GOD) and in just this year has played freshman volleyball, JV cheered (ok the cheerleader thing will have to be a whole thread on my blog...allergic to them and there were POM POMS in my world...ACK)and is now managing the boys tennis team and has a part in the ensemble of the Spring musical. I am also creeeping up on 20 years of marriage. Dear lord...am I to be admired or institutionalized? I ask you!
    So y'all remember, that when you have had TMI from me that ORBIE told me where to find you all!!!LOL!
    Good to see you Rosa. I've been "around" all the time. Knitting more, and apparently since my principal is pregnant and moving home to TN, in charge of the staff Book Club at school now. Geisha was our last book.
    Ducky

     

Post a Comment

<< Home