Now you know I am back because I am bitching
I am in a bit of a quandary. Puck is designing the set for the musical at the High School. Our school went through a bit of a tornado of change after Walker screwed Education in Wisconsin. Anyhow many many teachers retired, including both the director of the musical and the play.
I stepped in to keep the play going and the ex costumer stepped in to direct the musical. She has been costuming the musicals and plays for a few years now and wanted to try her hand at directing. She also coaches cheerleaders, has kids involved in sports and is adviser for AFS/Drama club.
She is the FCE teacher and I have worked with her for three years now. We have always gotten along great and she has signed on to be my costumer.
Well last weekend Puck came back from a meeting with her and apparently all hell broke loose. She insisted on some drastic changes to the set telling him "if you can't get it done, I will hire someone to do it" She bitched about using our local lumberyard and hardware store, saying we could save money by going to the big stores like Menards.
Well our local lumberyard delivers for free (small quantities even) The hardware store has donated gallons of paint and if Puck needs a bolt they just write it off. Puck has always felt very strongly that he should shop local, something I agree with him on. The prices are slightly higher, but frankly the difference in paying for gas and wear and tear probably balances it.
She also took lighting design away from him, telling him she had found someone else to do it. I was so angry I was sick. The disrespect for someone who has been working in theater for over 30 years just makes me ill.
I did tell him though that if he was going to work with her still he needed to get past this. Either tell her to Fuck off or suck it up.
This week he got an e-mail telling him she had decided to repaint part of his set and
She chided him for buying an $8.00 clock for the shop so the kids could keep track of hours and when parents were going to pick them up.
Neither she nor her assistant director know much about stage painting
I am about to explode!
I had a Drama club meeting on Wednesday and could barely speak to her. She is the paid adviser and apparently another teacher is also. I am the free help, but I was left running the meeting because the two of them had other things to do. She had a cheerleader meeting then they both had to run off and have a picture taken.
I got the kids thinking about what they want to do as a club and they organized a poster committee and facebook group. I left right after the meeting to work in the lab because I was afraid I might explode.
I am still stewing and am really not certain what to do about it. I asked Puck how he felt about not doing lights (this is something he normally loves to do) and he said he really didn't care. The spark has gone out of this show for him.
Today we were e-mailing back and forth about another thing and it was all I could do to stop myself from putting my foot in it. I honestly don't know how I am going to be able to work with her without going nuts. She is no costume designer... she is a seamstress. I need someone though and she has already signed the contract. Frankly it doesn't appear she even realizes what she has done. I know she is under a great deal of stress, but really!
there is too much drama in drama
I stepped in to keep the play going and the ex costumer stepped in to direct the musical. She has been costuming the musicals and plays for a few years now and wanted to try her hand at directing. She also coaches cheerleaders, has kids involved in sports and is adviser for AFS/Drama club.
She is the FCE teacher and I have worked with her for three years now. We have always gotten along great and she has signed on to be my costumer.
Well last weekend Puck came back from a meeting with her and apparently all hell broke loose. She insisted on some drastic changes to the set telling him "if you can't get it done, I will hire someone to do it" She bitched about using our local lumberyard and hardware store, saying we could save money by going to the big stores like Menards.
Well our local lumberyard delivers for free (small quantities even) The hardware store has donated gallons of paint and if Puck needs a bolt they just write it off. Puck has always felt very strongly that he should shop local, something I agree with him on. The prices are slightly higher, but frankly the difference in paying for gas and wear and tear probably balances it.
She also took lighting design away from him, telling him she had found someone else to do it. I was so angry I was sick. The disrespect for someone who has been working in theater for over 30 years just makes me ill.
I did tell him though that if he was going to work with her still he needed to get past this. Either tell her to Fuck off or suck it up.
This week he got an e-mail telling him she had decided to repaint part of his set and
She chided him for buying an $8.00 clock for the shop so the kids could keep track of hours and when parents were going to pick them up.
Neither she nor her assistant director know much about stage painting
I am about to explode!
I had a Drama club meeting on Wednesday and could barely speak to her. She is the paid adviser and apparently another teacher is also. I am the free help, but I was left running the meeting because the two of them had other things to do. She had a cheerleader meeting then they both had to run off and have a picture taken.
I got the kids thinking about what they want to do as a club and they organized a poster committee and facebook group. I left right after the meeting to work in the lab because I was afraid I might explode.
I am still stewing and am really not certain what to do about it. I asked Puck how he felt about not doing lights (this is something he normally loves to do) and he said he really didn't care. The spark has gone out of this show for him.
Today we were e-mailing back and forth about another thing and it was all I could do to stop myself from putting my foot in it. I honestly don't know how I am going to be able to work with her without going nuts. She is no costume designer... she is a seamstress. I need someone though and she has already signed the contract. Frankly it doesn't appear she even realizes what she has done. I know she is under a great deal of stress, but really!
there is too much drama in drama


4 Comments:
At 6:12 AM,
Sonya said…
What did you decide to do?
At 8:46 PM,
vq said…
You are a saint. And Puck is a saint, too. Way, way too nice.
At 1:39 PM,
Orbie/\;;/\ said…
Yeah all the saint tell people to fuck off lol... anyhow... Puck seems to be over the worst of it. He does not want to take credit for their crappy work though. I am much calmer, but I have been creating costume sheets for her for my play. Dang it she is not going to be a bad costumer for my show. I have historical figures in my play which need to be reasonably accurate. I have been, as usual, picking up bits and pieces as I find them so we should be good. I also know how to costume well on the cheap so her budget will not be as big as she might be used to.
ok maybe I am not quite over it :)
thanks for listening though
At 4:00 AM,
Catz said…
Like Verb said way to nice. So how's it going?
Post a Comment
<< Home