No Really, it is me blogging
I honestly don't know why I stopped blogging.... perhaps it just seemed like nothing much was going on. Nothing much still is going on, but I think I would like to get back in the habit.
We drove up to Mauston last night to attend the visitation for the 20 yr old daughter of Rendezvous friends who was killed in a car accident. Today I finally got more details on the accident. Apparently she was driving around a curve and was struck by a 29 yr old young man who was texting a picture to friends. He was ejected from the car and she was pinned. They were both rushed to the hospital, where Laura died 2 days later from her injuries. The young man survived.
Our friends Terry and Ann are deeply religious people and that seemed to be getting them through this terrible time. It is sort of weird to feel so close to people who you only know from one visit per year, but we are close friends. I remember Laura and Heidi (her younger sister) in their tiny chemises and long skirts bobbing for apples, racing around camp and playing with my own daughter for over 10 years now.
Ann is a weaver too and spinner, but she just had started back when we met. Now she is an accomplished fiber artist.
Terry is a blacksmith at camp and it was so strange to see both of them in street clothes when I have only known them in the 1830's. It is a little surreal
I am now working full time at our High School's Alternative school. I am enjoying it immensely but don't tell anyone :) The guy I work with is great and has a wonderful gift for working with at risk kids. It has taken me a little bit of time to get past my Mean old Lab Lady persona, which most of the kids know me for, but seeing some of those little rascals having come so far is very rewarding. I think some of them actually like me now LOL
Maddie is finishing up her last year of college as a fifth year senior. This semester and next will be spent finishing up her art minor and this semester she is throwing pots, blowing glass, dying fabric and welding metal... sounds like a blast and I am way jealous. She also got her first paid drama gig... A local High School hired her to design set and lights for their production of "Little Shop of Horrors"
She did an internship over the summer at American Players Theater which went very well. She had an exit interview and was told that she fit very well with the company and that The Tempest never would have been finished without her. She was asked to submit her portfolio because there will be a paid position opening up next summer. Fingers and toes crossed :)
She still has the boyfriend she picked up in Europe and they seem to be a good match. He graduates this semester with, I believe, a history major (medieval). I think we can pretty well assume they will have no big money in their futures :)
Puck is working on building set for "Beauty and the Beast" for the high school and I am working on getting ready for my own play... yes I agreed to direct the high school play and am scared silly about it.
I put in a proposal to the principal that we perform the entire play for the student body. It would only take 90 minutes and cost $40.00. He took it to his admin meeting and they pretty well shot it down. I sort of figure they would, but then we spent 2 and a half hours on a Homecoming pep rally. Silly games were played and Kings and Queens were crowned. How is it that I can not get 90 minuets? I am frustrated and will keep pushing for the arts.
It is a little difficult for me to stay on top of things while being out at the Alternative building all day though. I do not see any regular students on any kind of a regular basis. I need to figure out a way to stay in the loop. Well that all starts at the beginning of Next year so I bet I have a lot to blog about once 2012 starts.
bye for now
We drove up to Mauston last night to attend the visitation for the 20 yr old daughter of Rendezvous friends who was killed in a car accident. Today I finally got more details on the accident. Apparently she was driving around a curve and was struck by a 29 yr old young man who was texting a picture to friends. He was ejected from the car and she was pinned. They were both rushed to the hospital, where Laura died 2 days later from her injuries. The young man survived.
Our friends Terry and Ann are deeply religious people and that seemed to be getting them through this terrible time. It is sort of weird to feel so close to people who you only know from one visit per year, but we are close friends. I remember Laura and Heidi (her younger sister) in their tiny chemises and long skirts bobbing for apples, racing around camp and playing with my own daughter for over 10 years now.
Ann is a weaver too and spinner, but she just had started back when we met. Now she is an accomplished fiber artist.
Terry is a blacksmith at camp and it was so strange to see both of them in street clothes when I have only known them in the 1830's. It is a little surreal
I am now working full time at our High School's Alternative school. I am enjoying it immensely but don't tell anyone :) The guy I work with is great and has a wonderful gift for working with at risk kids. It has taken me a little bit of time to get past my Mean old Lab Lady persona, which most of the kids know me for, but seeing some of those little rascals having come so far is very rewarding. I think some of them actually like me now LOL
Maddie is finishing up her last year of college as a fifth year senior. This semester and next will be spent finishing up her art minor and this semester she is throwing pots, blowing glass, dying fabric and welding metal... sounds like a blast and I am way jealous. She also got her first paid drama gig... A local High School hired her to design set and lights for their production of "Little Shop of Horrors"
She did an internship over the summer at American Players Theater which went very well. She had an exit interview and was told that she fit very well with the company and that The Tempest never would have been finished without her. She was asked to submit her portfolio because there will be a paid position opening up next summer. Fingers and toes crossed :)
She still has the boyfriend she picked up in Europe and they seem to be a good match. He graduates this semester with, I believe, a history major (medieval). I think we can pretty well assume they will have no big money in their futures :)
Puck is working on building set for "Beauty and the Beast" for the high school and I am working on getting ready for my own play... yes I agreed to direct the high school play and am scared silly about it.
I put in a proposal to the principal that we perform the entire play for the student body. It would only take 90 minutes and cost $40.00. He took it to his admin meeting and they pretty well shot it down. I sort of figure they would, but then we spent 2 and a half hours on a Homecoming pep rally. Silly games were played and Kings and Queens were crowned. How is it that I can not get 90 minuets? I am frustrated and will keep pushing for the arts.
It is a little difficult for me to stay on top of things while being out at the Alternative building all day though. I do not see any regular students on any kind of a regular basis. I need to figure out a way to stay in the loop. Well that all starts at the beginning of Next year so I bet I have a lot to blog about once 2012 starts.
bye for now


5 Comments:
At 1:48 PM,
Sonya said…
Lori, it's so nice to see a post and know that things are going well for everyone at the orbweaver house. And yay that you have a job you're enjoying so much. Keep writing posts!
At 4:23 PM,
Orbie/\;;/\ said…
Thanks Sonya :) I will try to be better
At 5:52 PM,
Brenda said…
happy too, to see you again.;)
At 1:57 PM,
longhair75 said…
great to read your blog once more, my friend
At 2:12 PM,
Orbie/\;;/\ said…
Hey Pete... good to see you my friend You too Brenda :)
Post a Comment
<< Home