Loom With A View

Monday, November 13, 2006

Busted Bust

The play is finished, but I lost my bust in the process... Saturday during one of the scene changes there was a horrible crash. I knew immediately that my plaster bust had fallen into a million pieces. I had purchased it to be used as a prop so it was not terribly awful, but I had hoped it would get through more than half a show before it was pushed over.

The kids were a little scared of my reaction, but I reassured them. We did sweep up the remains and Maddie and I are going to put Humpty Dumpty together again if we can then calk any holes, sand him down, paint him white and marble him good as new. That is plan anyhow. Right now he is in many many pieces and one small back of dustpan remains. It will be an interesting challenge.

We got everything home in only a couple trips. I handed my keys off to my costume assistant and she and Mad drove a couple loads of clothes and props back to the house. Several boys loaded up the van with the rest of our stuff and I drove that home. They ran after me and brought it all in... all I had to do was hold the door. Now I need to take the six foot pile of clothes off the sofa and clear the mound of props off the dining room table... there is a full set of encyclopedias on the bar that needs to get put back, but first I need to put all the bar stuff back in the bar so I can get to the bookshelf where those books belong. It is sort of a domino process and is going to take a few days.

During Sunday's performance again during a scene change I heard a smaller crash. Puck turned to me and said
"what do you suppose that was?"
"I know exactly what it was"
"What?"
"That was your ashtray!"
"Shit"
"It didn't sound like it broke though"

I have run into that ashtray enough times to recognise the sound of it jostling. It was fine thank heavens... it is a stand alone ashtray with a glass liner and the liner would be difficult to replace. I should just find one that the theater could have instead of lending ours out so often for shows

It will be good to be able to get the house back to normal again... cluttered, but normal

1 Comments:

  • At 10:53 AM, Blogger Orbie/\;;/\ said…

    thanks Jilly :) Maddie has got a start on the reconstruction... his face is somewhat whole and his body is sort of there... a couple of his curly locks too

     

Post a Comment

<< Home