sick people
Been busy with rehearsing and finding costumes and remaking Maddie's costumes for MFL and EBAYing for costumes so I don't have to make too many more costumes for Maddie. So that catches us up to Wednesday
Wednesday after school as I was headed over to the theater one of Maddie's classmates stopped me and told me that Maddie had left school early because she was sick. Now Maddie just does not get sick. I think I have called her in sick to school 4 times in all her years of school. She was never a sick baby. Only two amoxocillin events in her whole childhood. I was concerned, but unable to leave rehearsal.
When I finally got home I found her all curled up on the bathroom floor in her jammies with pillows under her head and the heater going. A big glass of water next to her. We have a very small bathroom so she was pretty well taking up the entire floor. She had been throwing up every hour since she got home. She commented that it was at exactly the same time every hour as well. I felt so badly for her. I got her a sippy straw which helped with the big glass of water. Puck had encouraged her to take some tylenol, but that came flying back up.
She was really upset about missing school the next day. They had a physics test that she really didn't want to miss. When she still was lying on the floor at 10:00 we decided that we would just call in sick the next day and then if she felt better in the afternoon she could go in for the test. This would at least give her a chance to get her homework done. She had a ton to do.
Puck was going to watch her, but ended up getting a call to come in and sub. I decided that I would stay home to watch Maddie if she was feeling bad in the morning. I got up at my regualar time and woke up Puck... he got in the shower and then he started feeling sick and throwing up. I had to call and tell the school that he could not come in and sub. I called in as well for myself since Puck could not take care of Maddie. Maddie slept till 10:00 then got up and started on her homework. She was feeling a little better. It all came crashing back though around noon and she decided to stay home. Puck was feeling better and said he could stay with Maddie while I went to the store for supplies... Ginger ale, Chicken Soup, 7up and toilet paper oh and kitty litter too.
I checked on Maddie and she was sound asleep with Beowulf clutched in her hand, her notebook fallen out of the other hand to the floor. It looked ok for me to go to rehearsal. Several cast members were out sick too. I picked up Maddie's homework for her so she would not get too far behind.
This morning Puck got a call to sub again. He got up to get dressed and was sick again. I had to call the schools to tell them that he could not sub. Maddie was looking better, but not great. Unfortunately the rule is that you have to have been in school all day in order to attend extracurricular events. This is the last day for pep band and she didn't want to miss it and tomorrow is the big Drama fundraiser dance which she has been looking forward to for months. She is president of the club too and made most of the posters. I hope she is having a good day.
Puck just e-mailed me that he was not doing too well... I have been feeling a little queasy, but otherwise pretty good. I was supposed to go to a bunco party, but I am begging off. I think the sleep will do me well. We have rehearsal all weekend and I am chaparoning the dance. I need to make some props too like a cape and some wolf ears.
I am feeling a little stressed out. My house is a complete wreck and all I want to do is sleep. I have been very cranky... guess I will have to play nurse Ratchitt :)
Wednesday after school as I was headed over to the theater one of Maddie's classmates stopped me and told me that Maddie had left school early because she was sick. Now Maddie just does not get sick. I think I have called her in sick to school 4 times in all her years of school. She was never a sick baby. Only two amoxocillin events in her whole childhood. I was concerned, but unable to leave rehearsal.
When I finally got home I found her all curled up on the bathroom floor in her jammies with pillows under her head and the heater going. A big glass of water next to her. We have a very small bathroom so she was pretty well taking up the entire floor. She had been throwing up every hour since she got home. She commented that it was at exactly the same time every hour as well. I felt so badly for her. I got her a sippy straw which helped with the big glass of water. Puck had encouraged her to take some tylenol, but that came flying back up.
She was really upset about missing school the next day. They had a physics test that she really didn't want to miss. When she still was lying on the floor at 10:00 we decided that we would just call in sick the next day and then if she felt better in the afternoon she could go in for the test. This would at least give her a chance to get her homework done. She had a ton to do.
Puck was going to watch her, but ended up getting a call to come in and sub. I decided that I would stay home to watch Maddie if she was feeling bad in the morning. I got up at my regualar time and woke up Puck... he got in the shower and then he started feeling sick and throwing up. I had to call and tell the school that he could not come in and sub. I called in as well for myself since Puck could not take care of Maddie. Maddie slept till 10:00 then got up and started on her homework. She was feeling a little better. It all came crashing back though around noon and she decided to stay home. Puck was feeling better and said he could stay with Maddie while I went to the store for supplies... Ginger ale, Chicken Soup, 7up and toilet paper oh and kitty litter too.
I checked on Maddie and she was sound asleep with Beowulf clutched in her hand, her notebook fallen out of the other hand to the floor. It looked ok for me to go to rehearsal. Several cast members were out sick too. I picked up Maddie's homework for her so she would not get too far behind.
This morning Puck got a call to sub again. He got up to get dressed and was sick again. I had to call the schools to tell them that he could not sub. Maddie was looking better, but not great. Unfortunately the rule is that you have to have been in school all day in order to attend extracurricular events. This is the last day for pep band and she didn't want to miss it and tomorrow is the big Drama fundraiser dance which she has been looking forward to for months. She is president of the club too and made most of the posters. I hope she is having a good day.
Puck just e-mailed me that he was not doing too well... I have been feeling a little queasy, but otherwise pretty good. I was supposed to go to a bunco party, but I am begging off. I think the sleep will do me well. We have rehearsal all weekend and I am chaparoning the dance. I need to make some props too like a cape and some wolf ears.
I am feeling a little stressed out. My house is a complete wreck and all I want to do is sleep. I have been very cranky... guess I will have to play nurse Ratchitt :)


6 Comments:
At 7:13 PM,
vq said…
{{{{Orbie}}}}
I got sick last spring the night before our big, annual all-music Sunday, kind of the culmination of my work year. I had three different choirs singing that morning, plus I was playing handdrums and other rhthym instruments on several songs. I was sick every hour or so all night long, but I kept saying to myself, "I HAVE to go. 50 children will be waiting for me. I HAVE to go." I got up at about seven and started trying to nibble saltines and keep some seven-up down, but was feeling queasy and miserable. Dave came into the bathroom (where I was lying on the floor in front of the toilet, partially dressed in my church clothes) and handed me a glass of the energy drink he buys at the bicycle shop and drinks while he's on his rides. It tasted sort of salty and icky, and I said I couldn't drink it, but he made me. I swear, it performed a MIRACLE on me. Ten minutes after I finished it, my energy started coming back and my tummy settled down, and I actually made it to church, and through the service. I think what happens when you've had a stomach bug is that your lack of glycogen and your low electrolytes keep you feeling queasy after the bug has passed. My advice--always keep some kind of sports drink on hand for tummy emergencies!!
At 6:56 AM,
Orbie/\;;/\ said…
maybe the glycocimine (sp) I am taking for my creaky joints is keeping my illness at bay :)
At 8:44 AM,
vq said…
Hey, whatever it is, KEEP DOING IT! Is anything more miserable than a stomach bug, I ask you?
At 11:01 AM,
Anonymous said…
the only thing good about that type of illness (often called a 24 hour virus) is that it rarely lasts more then a day ( the puking part at least ) . a few days later you are generally feeling fine.
Speaking of electrolites ehrn I had bronchitis Myles ( my doctor) insisted I drink gatorade to rehydrate . I hated the stuff . its like bland koolade but did as he said . I must have gotten used to it because besides coffee in the morning its all I drink all day now ( with Ice) . allan
At 4:53 PM,
***LadyMtnMedic*** said…
Hope that all of you are better, way to hang in there Orbie!
At 8:33 PM,
UrbanStarGazer said…
I don't think I've ever gone a year of my life without puking thanks to motion sickness, flus, etc.
Hope y'all feel better!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home