Closed due to cold
they closed school yesterday due to the frigid temperatures. It was 19 below for most of the day, but the wind chill was 35 below. It was nice to get the call the evening before so I could sleep in. Also I didn't have to call the woman I normally need to call since she is in New Zealand right now.
Spent the weekend taking apart a vintage 1900's waist. I bought a beautiful Edwardian dress on EBAY... The lace was completely shattered though and so I asked the seller if the rest of the dress (waist and skirt) were ok She told me that they were fine and that if I replaced the lace the dress should be wearable.
I am going to make dang sure that Maddie has nice costumes for this last musical of her High School career so I bought it. It took most of Sunday and Monday to carefully remove the pieces so that I can use them as a pattern. I bought replacement lace and satin lining and am anxious to get started. I need to figure out some other means of securing the dress because of the quick changes she will need to make... I bought some snap tape that I think I will use on the waist and probably get some more for the skirt. the waist attaches to the skirt.
I always try to find something special as a memory for each play she does. They used to be beanie babies, but lately have grown into interesting things. A tiny Alice and caterpillar, a nurses pin, things like that. I was having trouble finding something for this play. I didn't want to get some "My Fair Lady" thing since she had worked so hard to vie for the lead when she knew it was already pre-cast.
I searched for housekeeper and dancer things for days without coming up with anything too special. Suddenly I remembered chatalaines. The little pins that housekeepers kept sewing and household items on. They held glasses and needle cases... sometimes keys too. I found a wonderful one that was a little sword in a sheath... it has three little dangles on it. A tiny teapot, a little urn and a little spoon. The seller had no clue about the spoon, but I recalled from my days as a docent at the historic house that those little spoons were for digging out ear wax :) I know Maddie will just love that!!!! It was a battle but I won the bid on that one too.
Been searching for other things on EBAY for the play. We have lost a couple rehearsals and have one reluctant actress who feels slighted (If only she were a better actress she would have a bigger part) I gave her an ultimatum today In or Out! I am tired of mollycoddling her temperament.
So that was my day off and my day today
Spent the weekend taking apart a vintage 1900's waist. I bought a beautiful Edwardian dress on EBAY... The lace was completely shattered though and so I asked the seller if the rest of the dress (waist and skirt) were ok She told me that they were fine and that if I replaced the lace the dress should be wearable.
I am going to make dang sure that Maddie has nice costumes for this last musical of her High School career so I bought it. It took most of Sunday and Monday to carefully remove the pieces so that I can use them as a pattern. I bought replacement lace and satin lining and am anxious to get started. I need to figure out some other means of securing the dress because of the quick changes she will need to make... I bought some snap tape that I think I will use on the waist and probably get some more for the skirt. the waist attaches to the skirt.
I always try to find something special as a memory for each play she does. They used to be beanie babies, but lately have grown into interesting things. A tiny Alice and caterpillar, a nurses pin, things like that. I was having trouble finding something for this play. I didn't want to get some "My Fair Lady" thing since she had worked so hard to vie for the lead when she knew it was already pre-cast.
I searched for housekeeper and dancer things for days without coming up with anything too special. Suddenly I remembered chatalaines. The little pins that housekeepers kept sewing and household items on. They held glasses and needle cases... sometimes keys too. I found a wonderful one that was a little sword in a sheath... it has three little dangles on it. A tiny teapot, a little urn and a little spoon. The seller had no clue about the spoon, but I recalled from my days as a docent at the historic house that those little spoons were for digging out ear wax :) I know Maddie will just love that!!!! It was a battle but I won the bid on that one too.
Been searching for other things on EBAY for the play. We have lost a couple rehearsals and have one reluctant actress who feels slighted (If only she were a better actress she would have a bigger part) I gave her an ultimatum today In or Out! I am tired of mollycoddling her temperament.
So that was my day off and my day today


6 Comments:
At 12:18 PM,
vq said…
What absolutely fascinating stuff you are able to find, with your artist's eye. I'm amazed!
At 12:26 PM,
Orbie/\;;/\ said…
thanks Verb... I can tell you it will be no picnic sewing those tiny little velvet doll buttons back on. There is a long row on each sleeve as well as down the front of the "waist" Waist is what the top part of the ensemble is called... not certain why
At 9:37 PM,
vq said…
Aha...as in "shirtwaist?" I always wondered why those dresses were called that...
At 4:54 PM,
Roger said…
Dang, I always wondered what a shirtwaist was - I kept running into it in legal books about a case early in the 20th century.
And your artist's eye is fantastic.
R
At 5:05 PM,
Orbie/\;;/\ said…
Sheesh Roger all you had to do was ask LOL... thanks both of you for your nice compliments. the little pin came today and it is just as nice as the picture. the knife is very cool... the little urn was probably a scent jar and may have had a tiny cover on it. the teapot is just a decoration. Symbol of the job I expect. I should probably hunt up some eyeglasses on a chain too.
I lost the bid on a beautiful robe, but have a couple more in the wings. I think I have 10 bids out there right now.. nothing worse than a maniac mother
At 3:38 PM,
Orbie/\;;/\ said…
yes Jilly that is what the snap tape is for. It is just easier to sew on the tape which already has the snaps lined up and in place than individually sewing 15 snaps down the front of the blouse. I just hope it is not too heavy for the lacy front. If so then I am screwed and have to do it all by hand
Post a Comment
<< Home